30% Servers In Datacenter 'Comatose,' Says Researcher
Thirty percent of physical servers are sitting “comatose” according to research findings from Anthesis Group. Comatose servers are those that have not delivered information or computing services in more than six months. And those idle data center servers represent a $30 billion dollar worldwide loss, Data Center Knowledge reported.
The research was conducted with Jonathan Koomey, Research Fellow at Stanford University, using data from TSO Logic.
These findings imply that there are about 10 million comatose servers worldwide – including standalone servers and host servers in virtual environments. The findings support previous research performed by the Uptime Institute, which also found that around 30 percent of servers are unused.
The 10 million estimated comatose servers translate into at least $30 billion in data center capital sitting idle globally (assuming an average server cost is $3,000, while ignoring infrastructure capital costs as well as operating costs).
“Far too many businesses have massive Information Technology (IT) infrastructure inefficiencies of which they are not even aware,” said Jon Taylor, Partner at Anthesis Group.
“These preliminary findings support the idea that ongoing measurement and management of a business’s IT infrastructure is needed to optimize performance, energy use, and return-on-investment.”
Dr. Koomey, a researcher, consultant, and lecturer on the energy and environmental impacts of technology, says: “In the 21st century, every company is an IT company, yet far too little attention is given to IT inefficiencies, and to the need for widespread changes in how IT resources are built, provisioned, and managed.”
“Removing idle servers would result in Gigawatt-scale reductions in global IT load, the displaced power use from which could then support new IT loads that actually deliver business value. That’s a result that everyone should cheer,” sums up Koomey.
- 203 Mn Records Breached In India In H1 2017: Gemalto
- Deep Learning To Spur Fraud Predictions By 2019
- Bank Branches Will Not Die Anytime Soon: Study
- Moving From Instinct To Insight Powered Marketing
- NetApp Appoints Senior Execs To Strengthen India Business
- How Digital Is Transforming Child Healthcare
- How Big Data Can Thwart Epidemic Diseases
- Are You A Cost Center Or A Profit Center?
- Escaping Automation-Led Redundancy In The Indian IT Industry
- Fintech Revolution: How India, APAC Cos Are Moving Ahead