3G, MNP by Year-end, Promises Raja
IT and communications minister — A. Raja, said 3G spectrum auctions
will be completed by 2009-end. Yesterday, Raja took office as ICT minister for the second consecutive term. Speaking to reporters in the capital, Raja said a lot of things needed to be ascertained regarding 3G. Currently, 3G services are being offered by MTNL and BSNL in select areas.
The minister also said mobile number portability, which allows users to switch between operators without changing numbers, would be implemented in October this year. The earlier deadline given for it was August.
Raja assured that he would also work towards extending tax benefits to IT companies under the STPI scheme. The STPI scheme will expire on March 31, 2010 and Raja said he would ask the government to further extend it by two years.
He also said the government would give a push to hardware manufacturing and manufacturing hubs would be promoted. "The semi conductor policy announced previously will continue to stay and is already attracting new proposals," he said.
Regarding the national e-governance plan, Raja said, "Within the next five years, paper-less governance will reach at least the taluka levels as part of the e-governance plan."
3G Auction Hits Defense Spectrum Roadblock
3G Will Accelerate India’s Mobile Revolution
Number Portability in August: Raja
Tax Waiver to Attract New Investment Into IT
Raja Promises Three Year STPI Extension
- Enterprise Networks: Things To Focus On In 2018
- Looking At The World Through A Digital Lens
- Xiaomi To Make Fresh Investments, Set Up More Plants In India
- Customer-Facing Web, Mobile Apps Pose Highest Security Risk: Study
- CISOs, Beware Of Crime-as-a-Service, IoT Threats In 2018
- Ericsson Forecasts 1 Billion 5G Subscriptions By 2023
- What Makes SHAREit So Bullish On India Market
- How Shalimar Paints Is Weaving Its Digital Story
- The Enterprise Gains From Micro Frontend
- HFCL Gets A Deal Of Rs 128 Cr From BSNL