3G, MNP by Year-end, Promises Raja
IT and communications minister — A. Raja, said 3G spectrum auctions
will be completed by 2009-end. Yesterday, Raja took office as ICT minister for the second consecutive term. Speaking to reporters in the capital, Raja said a lot of things needed to be ascertained regarding 3G. Currently, 3G services are being offered by MTNL and BSNL in select areas.
The minister also said mobile number portability, which allows users to switch between operators without changing numbers, would be implemented in October this year. The earlier deadline given for it was August.
Raja assured that he would also work towards extending tax benefits to IT companies under the STPI scheme. The STPI scheme will expire on March 31, 2010 and Raja said he would ask the government to further extend it by two years.
He also said the government would give a push to hardware manufacturing and manufacturing hubs would be promoted. "The semi conductor policy announced previously will continue to stay and is already attracting new proposals," he said.
Regarding the national e-governance plan, Raja said, "Within the next five years, paper-less governance will reach at least the taluka levels as part of the e-governance plan."
3G Auction Hits Defense Spectrum Roadblock
3G Will Accelerate India’s Mobile Revolution
Number Portability in August: Raja
Tax Waiver to Attract New Investment Into IT
Raja Promises Three Year STPI Extension
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content: CTO
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- Data Science: A Success Mantra For Business Optimization
- MoneyOnMobile Introduces Bharat Bill Payment
- 5G Will Create USD 27-Bn Opportunity For India: Ericsson
- 10 Reasons That Make SMS A Powerful Marketing Tool
- 8 Out Of 10 Shopping Apps Have Security Flaws: Report
- F-Secure's New Security Offering Blends Human Expertise And AI
- Why Big Enterprises Are Leaving Cloud For Other Tools
- Edtech Can Play A Vital Role In Woman Empowerment