6 Jobs Artificial Intelligence Is Replacing Soon
There has been an explosion of new age technologies over the past couple of years, leading to massive digital transformation across industries. There is not one industry or sector that is not affected by the tsunami of data and analytics. No wonder, emergent technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics are being lapped up by enterprises undergoing digital disruption. AI and Analytics, together with Cloud enterprise software, are leading to a focused, collaborative, as well as explorative leveraging of data. AI, in particular, is replacing repetitive tasks that were usually handled by humans till now. Machine learning enabled AI tools are adept in detecting patterns and giving insights.
Business processes, which always depended on human agency and involved repetitive tasks such as checking invoices, etc. are being taken over by AI robots. Self-learning algorithms are being used to detect patterns as well as provide insights into the data. These machine learning capabilities are helping business processes attain new levels of efficiency that have been unheard of till now. The tools are transforming design thinking and disrupting traditional business models. They are ushering in new digital models and strategies. They are also radically transforming the way organizations do business.
For example, IBM’s supercomputer Watson can crunch data at the speed of 67 million pages per second and transform the data into actionable insights. This is humanly impossible. Watson’s data processing capabilities would even help it to communicate verbally and in real time with their human bosses. There are six specific areas that are witnessing increasing intervention of digital technology such as Artificial Intelligence.
(1) Research: One cannot live without Google these days and there are so many wisecracks on that. Fact of the matter is that it has become an indispensable part of our work life. How difficult it used to be just a few years back when one had to go through reams and reams of newspaper to locate one article. With Artificial Intelligence-enabled virtual assistants such as SIRI, Alexa, and Cortana, such tasks can be easily accomplished. Moreover, there are programs that can easily cull out reports, white papers, or reviews. You name it and it will be there.
(2) Data entry: This activity is vital for enterprises to conduct business. Time and resources are spend in filling out forms, taking notes, etc. But at the end of the day, every one believes that this is something that has to be done and that there is no alternative. However, this perception is no longer true. Intelligent systems are taking up these jobs and doing them with unmatchable efficiency. This could happen in the foreseeable future: meetings and conferences would only involve meaningful conversations without the need for anyone to take notes or to circulate them later among the participants. AI tools and assistants will do everything for you. Important notes from every meeting get automatically logged. So, bye bye to redundant meetings or your work suffering because you forgot to write everything down.
(3) Repetitive tasks: Work that has to be done every day can be easily taken care of through AI tools and software. Even a kid can carry them out. It doesn’t need specific skills to be accomplished. It basically involves understanding rudimentary commands aided by simple reasoning. For example, scheduling meetings at the work place at a time that suits everyone. Such mundane tasks often hold employees back from their core duties and instead keeps them occupied with unproductive work and administrative work. This is particularly helpful for top ranking officials who often end up scheduling hundreds of meetings and have to hire human resource to get their job done.
(4) Search: Everyone, at one time or the other, is hunting for information. The innocuous button on the top is something that we have grown dependent on. Search engines, were in fact, the very first intelligent assistants for mankind. With increasingly sophisticated technology, search will only get better and optimized.
(5) Sales calls analysis: AI tools can analyze sales calls much faster than a human sales manager. A person will have to take nine years of nonstop sales calls to be able to compete with a bot. That too if they don’t go to sleep or take vacations. AI is being used for content marketing strategies, including email marketing. It won’t be long before they swoop in and take up a bigger part of the pie.
(6) Retail: It is not sci-fi if you are assisted by a robot when you visit a mall, dealership, or furniture store. This is the level of complexity that present day AI tools are marching towards. You will no longer be assisted by a salesperson from start to finish. Companies are already democratizing and enhancing people’s shopping experience through features such as self-checkout. With the buyer getting increasingly net-savvy, the bots may do a better job of convincing you to buy a certain product.
AI assistants are eliminating mundane tasks, democratizing and bringing special privileges to the man on the street, and allowing people to focus on their core competencies.
“The use of artificial intelligence (AI) has always fascinated industry experts. The scope of AI is widening with each passing day. With its powerful capabilities, some areas of human endeavor will get automated with the growth of more sophisticated neural networks, thus, cutting down on repetitive tasks,” said Shashank Dixit, CEO, Deskera.
According to a PwC report, ‘Artificial Intelligence and Robotics – 2017: Leveraging artificial intelligence and robotics for sustainable growth’, the cumulative economic impact of artificial intelligence could be between $1.49 trillion and $2.95 trillion by 2025. Besides cutting-edge business intelligence, AI tools can see an upward trend in other areas such as financial services, manufacturing, defence and security, logistics, and agriculture.
[The author is a tech evangelist, environmentalist, women's rights advocate, editor, columnist and founder of www.greenubuntu.com]
- Research Reveals AI Is Creating More 'Human Friendly' Workplaces
- Businesses Should Educate Consumers On AI For Smarter Outcome: Study
- Sanjay Brahmawar Joins Software AG As New CEO
- Humanizing User Experience through AI
- 6 Key Trends For Artificial Intelligence Powering The Investment Sector
- For AWS, Artificial Intelligence Is The Way Forward
- Five Technologies Changing The Healthcare Sector
- How Is AI Transforming Industries and Society
- IBM, Fortinet Team Up On Cyber Threat Data sharing
- AI, Blockchain Shake Up The Drilling Industry: Study