850 Mn Internet Users To Boost India's Digital Economy
India’s GDP is estimated at $2.848 trillion by 2018 and the country expects to touch $5 trillion numbers by 2025; of the total size, $1 trillion will be contributed by the digital economy. The high number of 850 million Internet users and 90 per cent smartphone penetration in the next few years will help the digital economy to achieve the target number, according to a joint report by IBM and Kalaari Capital.
The government initiative of Digital India is with the aim of creating trillion dollar economy, according to the report. The report, India’s Trillion Dollar Digital Opportunity, has outlined a 30-point implementation module for the ambitious goal. The population of India accounts to more than $1.32 billion based on the data available in 2016.
In a way to move along with the digital booming economy, government-run organizations and private sector are making significant contributions to improve internet infrastructure across the country.
While mobile phone penetration is expected to increase from 65% to 90% by 2022; the number of internet users is projected to be more than 850 million by 2022 from 450 million now. Such an widespread internet infrastructure would help in digital inclusion of non-digital natives, highlighted the joint report by IT services firm IBM and Kalaari Capital.
Shedding more light on the topic, the report suggests that it is expected that every one out of two internet users are expected to be a rural person over the next 3-4 years.
The stats show that 40% internet users will be women and 65% will account to people more than 25 years in age, the report noted.
Apart from the internet infrastructure, the report said through BharatNet project 2.5 lakh gram panchayat are expected to have internet connectivity in the next 3 years boosting the use of digital initiatives for people. Currently, more than 1 lakh villages are service-ready.
- How Salesforces Helps iQor In Its Digital Transformation Journey
- India's Online Smartphone Sales Grabs 35 pc of Total Market: Canalys
- Retail Sector Sees Huge Digital Skills Gap, Says Study
- Govt, Large Enterprises Drive India's IT Networking Growth: IDC
- IoT Projects Fast Becoming Mainstream, Says Study
- This Virtual CIO Is Helping Kerala Enterprises In Digital Transformation
- Blockchain To Save Financial Cos USD 40 Bn Per Year: Study
- Creating A Strategic I&T Roadmap For Digital Success
- New Economy Forum In Singapore To Address Business Challenges
- Helping Companies Stay Relevant In An Ever-Changing Digital Landscape