After Microsoft, An India-born CEO For Nokia Too?
After Microsoft selected India-born CEO Satya Nadella, Nokia is reported to follow its footsteps by appointing another Indian as Chief of Nokia handset business - Rajeev Suri. The news first reported in the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat reads: Rajeev Suri, chief executive officer of Nokia Solutions and Networks, Nokia’s telecom network equipment division, is likely to become the Finnish company’s next chief executive after the sale of its handset business to Microsoft
Suri, who was appointed as the CEO of Nokia Siemens Networks in 2009 could be the leading candidate to succeed Stephen Elop, the current CEO of the company after the sale of its handset business to Microsoft. Elop will move to Microsoft to head the devices and studios business, after the $7.5-billion handset sale is finalized by the end of March and soon after announce a new successor for Nokia, according to reports.
Sources say that Suri made himself a top candidate to succeed Elop by turning the Nokia telecom equipment unit profitable through restructuring and discarding unprofitable businesses. However, the unit’s fourth-quarter sales fell 22 percent from a year earlier, raising concerns about growth. It had been reported earlier that NSN, initially a joint venture between Nokia and Siemens, will account for about 89 percent of Nokia’s sales after the handset deal.
Prior to joining Nokia, Suri was heading group procurement, imports and special projects for Churchgate Group in Nigeria, national account manager for transmission and manager of strategic planning at ICL India and a production engineer at Calcom Electronics.
Born in 1967, Suri has a BE in electronics and telecommunications from the Manipal Institute of Technology, the same institute where Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella with a degree in electrical engineering that again makes him a non-IITan. He is reportedly a fitness enthusiast and spends considerable time in the gym during his leisure time.
- 3 Wealthiest Global CEOs Come From Tech Industry
- IT Veteran Neelam Dhawan Joins Ecosystm As Board Advisor
- How Emerging Tech Is Redefining India's Real Estate
- 10 Questions To Ask Your Cloud Vendor Encryption Solutions
- Digital Payment To Drive Blockchain Growth In India, Says Study
- Role Of Technology In Transforming HR
- Accenture, Israel Consulate And Nasscom launch 'scalerator'
- Why Blockchain Experts Should Rethink Cybersecurity
- Do Indian Techies Stand Exposed To The Current Tech Evolution?
- Embrace And Adapt, The New Mantra For Digital Enterprises