Airtel, BSNL, Nokia Collaborate To Scale Up To 5G
Indian telecom giant Bharti Airtel and state-run telco Bharat Sanshar Nigam Limited (BSNL) have collaborated with Finnish network equipment manufacturer Nokia to to create a strategic roadmap to spring to 5G, while Nokia will delineate use cases relating to the technology relevant to the India market, reports ET. For the same, Nokia has signed a memorandum of understanding with Airtel and BSNL.
Experts believe, 5G resolves most if not all the issues that hinder 4G. “5G is about solving the wireless challenges that exist today, including reliability for multiple devices, energy efficiency and bandwidth standards that will enable the transformation of industry and society in the areas of connected smart cities, remote surgery, driverless cars and the Internet of Things,” said Ho Seong Kim, ASEAN Communication, Media and High Tech Lead at Accenture in an article [Read the full article here].
“Thoughts behind these MoUs would be to introduce 5G here, and what are the steps required for the same, besides identifying applications to define the target segment, which will lead to a complete 5G strategy for telcos,” ET quoted Sanjay Malik, head of India market at Nokia, as saying.
Nokia and Airtel will leverage Nokia’s 5G FIRST end-to-end 5G solution including AirScale radio access portfolio and AirFrame data center platform to demonstrate 5G capabilities and simulate use cases of 5G extreme broadband and ultra-reliability and low latency communication, reports ANI.
The telecom players betting big on rolling out 5G in India is a clear indication of fast adoption of the technology.
“We were late in 3G and 4G and we are very keen that India should not be deprived of 5G. It is not only a communication issue, it is a productivity issue for industry. It has wider applications in smart cities and grids and all kinds of things,” The Hindu quoted, Telecom Secretary J.S. Deepak as saying, on the sidelines of Mobile World Congress.
- Nokia Expands Bengaluru R&D Center To Focus On 5G
- Trai Backs Net Neutrality; Will RJio, Airtel Stand To Gain?
- HFCL Gets A Deal Of Rs 128 Cr From BSNL
- Airtel-Karbonn Bring Two New Bundled Smartphones To Counter Jio
- SDN-NFV: The Game Changers In Indian Telecom sector
- How OnePlus, Apple Push Samsung To Third Slot
- Govt, Telcos Drive VMware’s Growth In India
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- TRAI's Decision Disappoint Airtel, Vodafone
- Google, Airtel Push UPI-Based Digital Payments Market