Airtel Says It Achieved 81% Reduction In CO2 Emissions
India’s largest telecom service provider, Bharti Airtel said it brought about 81 percent reduction in CO2 emissions across network infrastructure in the last five years. It saved over 1280 million sheets of paper since FY 2011-12 on paperless billing initiatives.
The company said it managed to recycle 2400 tons of e-waste and refurbished over 500,000 direct-to-home set top boxes and doubled mobiles network in last two years by adding 180,000 sites. This is the same number deployed over the past 20 years.
The company has released its 2017 India Sustainability Report that outlines its approach towards responsible, sustainable business practices and making a positive impact on all stakeholders including customers, suppliers, local communities, investors, employees and government bodies.
Airtel said it, “launched Airtel Payments Bank, the first payments bank in India, further consolidating the government’s agenda of digital payments and financial inclusion.” The company said it enabled over 1000 villages to go cashless across India, through enabling Airtel Payments Bank accounts with over 250000 banking points and onboarding merchants who accept digital payments.
Gopal Vittal, MD & CEO (India & South Asia), Bharti Airtel said, “As part of our governance DNA, we attach a deep sense of purpose to the way we conduct our business and ensure it has a positive impact on all stakeholders. Being a responsible corporate citizen, we have implemented a host of sustainability initiatives across the organization and remain fully committed to building on this strong foundation.”
The telco said it has adopted Aadhar based instant verification process which is secure and eliminates paperwork and that 32.7million such paperless Aadhar based acquisitions were completed last year.
- Coolpad Appoints Chief IP Officer; Focuses On India Market
- Amazon Beats Apple, Google To Become World’s Most Valuable Brand
- Why Enterprises Need To Automate Security Systems
- Ransomware Against IoT, Mobile On The Rise: SonicWall
- By 2025, Digital Transactions To Reach $1-Tn Annually: Report
- What Digital Transformation Means To Global Businesses
- India's Enterprise Software Spending To Outgrow China: Gartner
- Computex 2018, Smart Asia Trade Expo To Focus On AI, IoT
- Women In Cybersecurity Face Harsh Reality: Study
- Women Developers Stuck In Junior-Level Roles: Report