AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), the American semiconductor company is looking at expansion of its team in India almost 40 percent by hiring 500 engineers to boost its focus on technologies like Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR), according to an ET report.
The company is also set to reskill its employees in these new technologies. “We are looking at AR and VR for now. We will hire fresh talent, but also we are heavily investing in upskilling and reskilling our existing employees to contribute to the changing demands,” ET quoted Kiranmai Pendyala, chief operating officer-HR, AMD as saying.
This strategy paints similar to one adopted a year ago when it took on working on game console technologies and moved a part of its workforce to the new unit. “We had set up the Radeon Technologies group to exclusively work in the graphics space, and identified machine learning and virtual reality as new growth sectors for us,” said Pendyala.
The company had to bring some people with matched skillsets from the US as employees in Hyderabad did not possess them. “We did job rotations, short-term assignments in different countries and practiced reverse mentoring,” Pendyala said.
In India, AMD has 18 percent women among its 1,300 employees, higher than its global average of 15 percent, as per the report. More than 50 percent of its workforce is outside India. “We largely have hardware engineers, that is, people who work with silicon,” Pendyala said.
- How Blockchain, AI Can Boost India's Renewable Energy
- Indian IT Sector Lessons From USD 1.8-Bn HCL-IBM Deal
- Uber To Double Headcount In India Across Tech Centers
- 10% Investment In Telecom To Add 3.3% Of India’s GDP: BIF
- Three Ways IoT Is Disrupting The Modern Enterprises
- Smartphone Users In India To Double by 2022: Cisco
- The Role of Upskilling, Training In ICT & Telecom
- Data literacy Leads To Greater Confidence, Productivity
- 5 Game Changing Technologies In E-Commerce
- Indians Most Confident In APAC On Their Career Advancement, Says LinkedIn