Why are people losing enthusiasm for the internet?
While the Internet has almost become a way of life for the urban population, it seems that the enthusiasm of people is going down. A survey conducted by the Oxford Internet Institute (OII) in UK on internet use and attitudes shows that more than half of those who go online do it without enthusiasm. However, this lack of enthusiasm has not resulted in any dip in the number of internet users, said the report. The population of internet users (14 years and above) in UK has increased from 59% in 2003 to 78% this year.
The reasons for the decrease in enthusiasm vary from privacy issues to invasion into work life or just frustration. According to the survey, one out of six (14%) users felt that the internet was taking over their lives and invading their privacy.
Interestingly, the popularity of social networking sites has also been affected by this sentiment. Among the 2000 internet users interviewed by the Oxford institute, only 61% said they used social media, which is a mere one per cent increase since 2011. Experts say that the sudden explosion in use of social platforms between 2007 and 2011 has now petered out as people are increasingly finding it a waste of time.
Almost 37% people also said that they had no strong feelings either for or against the internet and were described as ‘moderate’ in their view. Many others (19%) had mixed feelings, sometimes happy and sometimes frustrated. Among the ones who still sounded enthusiastic, 17% said it made them more efficient, while 12% said they were happy going online.
The survey also indicated that internet use has increased modestly across all age groups. While most of the users of social network sites are under 35, the users between 45-54 years has shot up substantially from 10% in 2007 to 51% in 2013. The reason for this could be an increase in number of households acquiring it for the first time, said the report.
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- Ericsson Sees 5G Readiness On The Rise
- There's No Stopping The IoT Growth; Here's Why
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 2-6)
- SAP Leonardo To Help Indian Firms With Digital Transformation
- Enterprises See Gap In IoT-ERP Integration: Study
- OTT Gaining Momentum Due To Faster Internet
- 19 Milestones On Google's 19th Birthday
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Sep18-23)