Assam to Pilot Last Mile Connectivity
The Assam government is setting up a pilot project for last mile connectivity to promote e-governance services in the state.
Initially, the pilot project envisages deploying ICT to support design, supply, installation and commissioning the BPL based on Internet connectivity.
The state will seek technical assistance grant from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for the same. ADB has already floated a tender for the project. The project is being executed in partnership with Assam Electronics Development Corporation Limited (AMTRON).
The BPL Internet will be used for business-to-business (B2B), business-to-citizen (B2C) and e-governance services, along with other value added services such as Automatic Meter Reading (AMR), IP Phones to 200 users spread over a limited geographical area within Sualkuchi, ADB said.
The Japan Special Fund (JSF)-sponsored fund, proposes sanction of technical assistance of $600,000 for capacity development and for supporting programme implementation of the programme loan. The Assam Government will contribute a further $150,000, ADB said.
The loan would be released in three tranches of $40 million each in the first and second tranches, and $20 million in the third tranche.
The loan and technical assistance would focus on increasing the revenue department s administrative capacity, including implementation of new information and communication technology systems. It will also take steps to improve expenditure management, strengthen debt management systems, and close certain loss-making public sector enterprises.
ADB said it is vital that the state government strengthen its revenue generating capacity and rationalise the expenditure and debt servicing costs to sustain the ongoing fiscal consolidation initiatives.
- IBM Steps Up Its Skills Development Efforts In India
- F Secure Is Growing Much Faster Than The Market
- City Union Bank India's First Banking Robot
- India's Surgical Robotics Market To Touch $350 Mn By 2025
- Internet Exceeds 4 Bn-Users, But 50 pc Still Offline
- How Digital India Can Celebrate The Spirit Of Republic Day
- Incedo Opens Centre of Excellence in Pune
- Dell EMC's Sandeep Bhambure Joins Veeam As MD For India And SAARC
- India-Israel-US Strengthen Ties At Nasscom's Tech Triangle Summit
- Using Blockchain For Financial Inclusion