Assam to Pilot Last Mile Connectivity
The Assam government is setting up a pilot project for last mile connectivity to promote e-governance services in the state.
Initially, the pilot project envisages deploying ICT to support design, supply, installation and commissioning the BPL based on Internet connectivity.
The state will seek technical assistance grant from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for the same. ADB has already floated a tender for the project. The project is being executed in partnership with Assam Electronics Development Corporation Limited (AMTRON).
The BPL Internet will be used for business-to-business (B2B), business-to-citizen (B2C) and e-governance services, along with other value added services such as Automatic Meter Reading (AMR), IP Phones to 200 users spread over a limited geographical area within Sualkuchi, ADB said.
The Japan Special Fund (JSF)-sponsored fund, proposes sanction of technical assistance of $600,000 for capacity development and for supporting programme implementation of the programme loan. The Assam Government will contribute a further $150,000, ADB said.
The loan would be released in three tranches of $40 million each in the first and second tranches, and $20 million in the third tranche.
The loan and technical assistance would focus on increasing the revenue department s administrative capacity, including implementation of new information and communication technology systems. It will also take steps to improve expenditure management, strengthen debt management systems, and close certain loss-making public sector enterprises.
ADB said it is vital that the state government strengthen its revenue generating capacity and rationalise the expenditure and debt servicing costs to sustain the ongoing fiscal consolidation initiatives.
- RBI Reiterates Its Warning On Bitcoins
- Infor Looks To Triple Its India Revenue By 2020
- Yes Bank Automates Field Sales Processes Using Kaizala
- Five Big Data Trends To Influence AI In 2018
- SBI To Use Blockchain For Smart Contracts
- 10 Ways CEOs Can Fund Digital Initiatives
- Top Nine Trends in ICT Sector: TrendForce
- How Cisco Turns Jaipur Into A Digital, Smart City
- Why Is India's Business Rankings Still Not Good Enough
- Diwali Brings Glitter To Consumer Electronics Sales