Assam to Pilot Last Mile Connectivity
The Assam government is setting up a pilot project for last mile connectivity to promote e-governance services in the state.
Initially, the pilot project envisages deploying ICT to support design, supply, installation and commissioning the BPL based on Internet connectivity.
The state will seek technical assistance grant from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for the same. ADB has already floated a tender for the project. The project is being executed in partnership with Assam Electronics Development Corporation Limited (AMTRON).
The BPL Internet will be used for business-to-business (B2B), business-to-citizen (B2C) and e-governance services, along with other value added services such as Automatic Meter Reading (AMR), IP Phones to 200 users spread over a limited geographical area within Sualkuchi, ADB said.
The Japan Special Fund (JSF)-sponsored fund, proposes sanction of technical assistance of $600,000 for capacity development and for supporting programme implementation of the programme loan. The Assam Government will contribute a further $150,000, ADB said.
The loan would be released in three tranches of $40 million each in the first and second tranches, and $20 million in the third tranche.
The loan and technical assistance would focus on increasing the revenue department s administrative capacity, including implementation of new information and communication technology systems. It will also take steps to improve expenditure management, strengthen debt management systems, and close certain loss-making public sector enterprises.
ADB said it is vital that the state government strengthen its revenue generating capacity and rationalise the expenditure and debt servicing costs to sustain the ongoing fiscal consolidation initiatives.
- 5G To Pave Way For Self-driving Cars' Safety: Gartner
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- Truecaller Acquires Indian Firm Chillr; Launches Truecaller Pay 2.0
- How Keysight Is Helping Customers Boost Design Innovation
- Leaders Should Optimize IT I&O For Digital Business
- NDCP 2018: Preparing India For A Digital Future?
- Smart City Mission Receives Impetus from Tech Giants
- Is the New URL File Outbreak a Ransomware Attempt?
- Why IoT Benefits Will Outweigh Its Challenges
- Key Criteria For Choosing Your IoT Connectivity Provider