AWS, VMWare Collaborate For New Hybrid Cloud Services
After a week long speculations, VMware and Amazon Web Services (AWS) officially announced a strategic partnership to offer new hybrid cloud services. Under the new tie up, VMware’s complete software-defined data center offering will run on the AWS public cloud. Called VMWare Cloud on AWS, the service runs VMware’s enterprise class software-defined data center (SDDC) on the AWS cloud, allowing customers to run any application across public, private or hybrid cloud environments.
With this new deal, AWS will become VMWare’s primary public cloud infrastructure partner, and VMWare will be AWS’s primary private cloud partner. VMWare’s vSphere, VSAN and NSX will run on the AWS cloud, and the service will be optimized to run on dedicated, bare metal AWS infrastructure built specifically for the service. Customers will have the ability to purchase services through their existing VMware commercial agreement and use their existing VMware software investments to secure additional loyalty discounts for their VMware Cloud on AWS hybrid environment.
“VMware Cloud on AWS offers our customers the best of both worlds,” said Pat Gelsinger, CEO, VMware. “This new service will make it easier for customers to preserve their investment in existing applications and processes while taking advantage of the global footprint, advanced capabilities, and scale of the AWS public cloud”, he added.
“Our customers continue to ask us to make it easier for them to run their existing data center investments alongside AWS,” said Andy Jassy, CEO, AWS. “Most enterprises are already virtualized using VMware, and now with VMware Cloud on AWS, for the first time, it will be easy for customers to operate a consistent and seamless hybrid IT environment using their existing VMware tools on AWS, and without having to purchase custom hardware, rewrite their applications, or modify their operating model”, he added.
VMware already has partnerships with public cloud providers. The company early this year unveiled a strategic partnership that lets customers migrate workloads back and forth between VMware-based private clouds and the IBM SoftLayer public cloud. VMware Cloud on AWS is slated to be available in mid-2017. It will be delivered, sold, and supported by VMware. The company has not revealed prices of the offerings.
(Image Courtesy: ZDNet)
- ArisGlobal Moves 1200 VMs, 100TB Of Database Workload To AWS
- HPE Helps CIOs Efficiently Move Workloads To Hybrid Cloud Platforms
- Indian Operators To Deliver 5G Services For Sports Organizers
- India Is Clearly An Emerging Market For Autonomous Cars
- Healthcare Firms Keen To Invest In Hybrid Cloud, Says Study
- Amazon-Backed ToneTag Appoints Anil Kumar As CTO
- Enterprises Realizing Power Of Autonomous Cloud, Says Oracle's Steve Daheb
- Top 10 India Predictions On Cloud initiatives By 2023: IDC
- India's Telecom Growth To Be Muted In 2019-20: Ind-Ra
- Digital Transformation In Financial Sector To Get Bigger