Big Boys Of Storage Now Dominate Flash Market
Once dominated by storage startups looking to carve out a niche with flash-optimized solutions, the promise of flash in the datacenter is driving traditional enterprise storage vendors, such as Dell, EMC, HDS, HP, IBM, NetApp and Oracle, to all get on board and offer flash-optimized hybrid flash arrays (HFAs), and in some cases all-flash arrays (AFAs).
A new research from International Data Corporation (IDC) states that the storage industry continues to evolve and the flash-based array market, including AFAs and HFAs and is set for explosive growth in the coming months. The emergence of more robust offerings that can handle a wide range of increasingly complex workloads helped drive the worldwide flash-based array market to $11.3 billion in 2014, it says.
The impact that flash-based arrays will have on the datacenter is undeniable as more flash-based platforms are delivering enterprise-class data services, including snapshots, clones, encryption, replication, and quality of service (QoS) as well as storage efficiency features.
“Vendors are aggressively flash optimizing their offerings to provide improved performance, longer endurance, higher reliability, and a lower effective cost per gigabyte,” says Eric Burgener, Research Director, Storage Systems. “The most successful vendors will be those that can make a smooth transition from the traditional, dedicated application model to mixed workload consolidation.”
Additional findings from IDC’s research include the following:
- Start-up revenue leaders in the flash-based array space include Nimble Storage (an HFA supplier), Pure Storage, and SolidFire.
- The worldwide HFA and AFA segments will reach $10.0 billion and $1.3 billion, respectively, in 2014.
- To be successful, flash-based array vendors must have a flash-optimized platform that offers in-line compression and de-duplication as well as other enterprise-class data services.
- End users should strongly consider flash-based arrays when retiring existing enterprise storage platforms.
- How Emerging Tech Is Redefining India's Real Estate
- Why Big Enterprises Are Leaving Cloud For Other Tools
- Nine Ways To Ensure Cloud Security In Your Organization
- How E-Tailers Can Gain From Online Flash Sales
- Banks, Govt To Drive Enterprise Storage Growth: IDC
- Semiconductors in Data Storage
- Apple-Backed Group To Buy Toshiba Chip Biz For USD 18 Bn
- Cloud Computing Boosts Hybrid Cloud Adoption: Study
- Hybrid Cloud In The Era Of Hyper Conversion
- APAC To Lead In Cloud, IoT Adoption: Trend Micro EVP