Big Data, Who Cares? One-Third Firms Seriously Don't
Big data is perhaps the most hyped term in the tech circle today. Not only tech enthusiasts, but research firms also are upbeat on big data and how it would help transform modern transformations. Many believe big data is now mainstream. However, a research report from Dresner Advisory Services adds a sober note to the Big Data hype. Dresner is helmed by Howard Dresner, president, founder and chief research officer at Dresner Advisory Services, LLC, an independent advisory firm.
Dresner’s research report, from November 2015, includes input from roughly 3,000 organizations globally, as well as crowdsourcing and vendors’ customer communities. The study analyzes user perceptions and intentions around big data analytics, systems that enable end-user access to and analysis of data contained and managed within the Hadoop ecosystem.
It found that a mere 17 percent actively use Big Data in their organization today. As many as 47 percent “may use” Big Data in the future. A remarkably large 36 percent have no plans for Big Data, in other words, over a third of companies say: Big Data, who cares?
“Big Data is a very popular topic, in part due to the high volume of discussion and debate within the supplier, analyst, and media communities. While awareness is high across the board, more importance is assigned from suppliers, and we see a fairly substantial lag in current use and near term adoption plans within organizations today,” said Dresner.
Surprisingly, big data analytics is ranked in the bottom third of 25 strategic business intelligence (BI) initiatives currently under study in 2015. The top big data use case in 2015 is data warehouse optimization, ahead of customer/social analysis, Internet of Things, and clickstream analytics. Big data adoption is strongest within very large businesses and institutions.
“The study results demonstrate that the big data user market represents an early market dynamic and that change could unfold slowly or more quickly depending on unique organizational needs, interim experiments, and stories of success,” summed up Dresner.
- How Enterprises Can Thrive In A Risk-Laden World
- GoDaddy Bets Big On Indian SMB, E-Commerce
- HDS Appoints Sanjay Agrawal As Director - Platforms And Solutions
- Importance Of Ensuring Your Website Is Safe And Secure
- Convergence, Key To Biz Empowerment: CSS Corp CEO
- HDFC Life Debuts AI-based Insurance Email Bot
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (May 15-20)
- Homegrown Firm Develops A Solution To Thwart Ransomware
- India's Best Employers Are Digital-Smarts, Innovative: Study
- World Telecom Day: How Big Data Can Help The Sector