BlackBerry Opens OS To Rival Companies
BlackBerry has announced that it is opening up its Blackberry 10 operating system to rivals as part of a strategy of enabling other companies’ products to manage its devices, according to reports. The company believes this is a smart move considering mobile customers are increasingly seeking third-party applications to manage their mobile devices,
BlackBerry is currently talking to mobile device management companies such as AirWatch, Citrix, SAP and IBM to manage the company’s smart phones.
Gartner stated in its recent report, mobile device management (MDM) is a top priority for IT buyers, and investment levels are growing steadily. Competition among players drives commoditization. As workplace mobility bring the need for quality and flexible management tools, BlackBerry states it is working with these companies to offer customers the most flexible solution to support a broader enterprise mobility strategy.
The opening of its operating system BlackBerry 10 to MDM companies also suggests it will have a greater mindshare in the Internet of Things (IoT) market.
IoT is an evolving space with billions of devices being connected on the go and consumers looking for information from connected devices, equipment and infrastructure.
“BlackBerry is more than just an EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management) provider or a handset provider. We are uniquely positioned to be a major player in the multi-trillion dollar Internet of Things market,” head of BlackBerry’s global enterprise services business, John Sims said in a statement.
He believes that the new frontiers are applications, data and IoT and these are the areas in which Blackberry would want to lead. while the company will continue to support iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS devices, Sims said in the next one year, the company will introduce its multi-tenant cloud version of BES12, which allows more opportunities to win customers and maintain its market leading position.
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- HR Managers See CRM As An Effective Business Tool
- Myriad Possibilities Of The Application Economy
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Third Party Digital Cos Will Generate Over $31 Bn This Year
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- How Algorithms Are Revolutionizing Lending Business
- Blockchain, Distributed Ledgers Will Take Time To Mature: Gartner
- Cloud-Based Biometric Authentication Is Underway
- NetApp Appoints Senior Execs To Strengthen India Business