BSNL Asks DoT to Speed Up MNP Equipment Clearance
The state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has informed the Department of Telecom (DoT) to expedite the security clearance process to import mobile number portability (MNP) infrastructure.
In a missive to DoT, BSNL has said that it may miss the new 31st March deadline for implementing the mobile number portability (MNP) regime if it does not get the security clearance for importing the equipment at the earliest. "We would like to bring to your kind notice that BSNL has not been able to place purchase orders for MNP gateway for want of security clearance," the telco said in its letter to DoT.
Mobile number portability allows mobile phone users to change their operators without changing the numbers.
BSNL said it has submitted technical details to DoT on its MNP infrastructure and is still awaiting security nod before placing purchase orders.
The government had earlier set 31st December, 2009 as deadline for implementing the MNP regime in the four metros, and June 2010 for the rest of the country. However, this deadline could not be met after many operators, including BSNL and MTNL, informed DoT that they would require more time to upgrade their networks.
DoT subsequently set 31st March as the new date for this facility to be rolled out across the country at one go.
Before introducing the MNP service, operators have to ensure various requirements including technical upgradation of network, installation verification tests, setting up links with MNP operators and conducting inter-operator tests.
- IoT and Big Data Can Be A Match Made In Heaven
- IoT Adds Fuel To Smart Cities’ Engine
- Why M-Commerce Is The New E-Commerce
- Reliance Jio Spurs Competition, Consolidation Among Telcos
- Where Brands Go Wrong With Their Content Strategy?
- Govt Launches 'Cyber Swachhta Kendra' To Prevent Cyber Attack
- How Technology Is Transforming Higher Education
- Decoding The 'Maharashtra Cyber' Project
- How Marketers Can Gain From Mobile-Social Strategy
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Feb 13-18)