Budget Expectations - Deepak Chandnani, Obopay
Deepak Chandnani, CEO, Obopay, shares his expectations from the Union Budget 2011 with CXOtoday.com
“In the forthcoming year, our biggest focus would be targeting the un-banked and the under-banked. Mobile phones will lead the way in penetrating rural areas and delivering financial services to the have-nots. Even though the government and the RBI have been very encouraging in the past one year, additional steps should be taken other than the Rs 100 crore allocation it undertook last year. Financial inclusion should be a priority in the forthcoming year for the BFSI sector and deliver a holistic financial model which will help the microfinance sector in India.
Mobile telephony network is an important infrastructure for spurring economic growth and with so many value added services that it can now deliver it has a direct impact on country’s GDP. The Telecom sector has grown tremendously in the last decade and today stands at a tipping point where significant investment will be required going forward and therefore it merits Infrastructure status and its benefits.
Another big boost to the mobile banking industry this year was the exemption of CVD (Excise) duty on parts for manufacture of mobile phones and accessories leading to reduction in mobile phone prices. This has helped in boosting the business of many domestically grown mobile companies as well as offering more choice to consumers. In the forthcoming budget, mobile phones and telecom companies should be given some more leeway which will encourage them to proliferate rapidly in areas which were earlier untouched.
All in all, looking at last one year’s performance, we are sure the Indian government will take adequate steps to ensure optimum benefits for the financially underserved sections of the society in the forthcoming FY.”
- Cost, Complexity Continue To Hinder IT Automation: Study
- Self Service Set To Change Dynamics Of Data Analytics
- Huawei Aims To Double Smartphone Sales In India: Report
- Budget For Education Sector: Solving The Digital Puzzles
- Budget 2017: Digital Push Will Drive Cloud Growth
- Why India Needs Separate CERT For Different Industries?
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Jan 30-Feb 03)
- Union Budget 2017: It's Digital All The Way
- Budget 2017: What Tech Leaders Are Saying
- Union Budget 2017: Here's How Analysts React