Budget Expectations - Sandeep Ladda, PwC
Sandeep Ladda, Executive Director, telecom and entertainment & media tax practice, PwC, shares his expectations from the Union Budget 2011 with CXOtoday.com.
“Tax holiday for restructured undertakings: The government should encourage consolidation among telecom operators by deleting the restrictive provisions of section 80-IA (12A) of the Income tax Act, 1961 (Act) (which currently deny tax holiday to eligible undertakings undergoing restructuring).
Lumpsum spectrum charges: Clarity is required on allowability of deduction under section 35ABB of the Act in respect of lumpsum charges already paid to the tune of more than Rs 1 trillion for acquisition of 3G and BWA licenses. The Government should also consider introducing tax holiday for licenses granted till 31 March, 2011.
Telecoms equipment manufacturing: To encourage telecom equipment manufacturing, specific tax holiday should be introduced for those not finding it feasible to set up operations in special zones.
Withholding tax on interconnect-usage/bandwidth/satellite charges: A clarification should be provided that such payments are not covered within the definition of royalty or fees for technical services under section 9(1)(vi)/(vii) of the Act, respectively.
Refund of special additional duty of customs (SAD): SAD, a non-creditable levy imposed on the telecom service providers, should be exempted or made creditable against output service tax.”
- Domain Extensions Can Make A Difference To Your Business
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- Cost, Complexity Continue To Hinder IT Automation: Study
- Huawei Aims To Double Smartphone Sales In India: Report
- Budget For Education Sector: Solving The Digital Puzzles
- Budget 2017: Digital Push Will Drive Cloud Growth
- Why India Needs Separate CERT For Different Industries?
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Jan 30-Feb 03)
- Union Budget 2017: It's Digital All The Way
- Budget 2017: What Tech Leaders Are Saying