Businesses Fail To Treat WAN As Strategic Asset
Even though Wide Area Network (WAN) is a critical factor to business success, a new research shows that most CIOs currently believe that WAN is posing a challenge to them in business-critical applications. The research report by prepared by Metzler & Associates and commissioned by Talari highlighted the subjugated nature of WAN’s role in many IT organizations at present, as it states that one fifth of the respondents believe that senior management fully understands the importance of WAN as a strategic asset. This according to the study is creating a strong disconnect between IT and management.
WAN can however lead to tremendous business success, says the study. “There’s no doubt that the WAN plays an increasingly important role to a company’s ability to function as business-critical, real-time applications, such as voice and video, public cloud apps and services and the use of mobile devices in the workplace continue to grow,” said Talari’s president and CEO, Emerick Woods.
However, he points out that while the vast majority of respondents claim the most important factors impacting the WAN are improving application performance and providing better support to real-time applications, only 20% of respondents claim their company’s senior business managers often regard the WAN as being strategic to their business goals and often support the need for additional funding, which is an area of concern.
Other key findings in the report include:
* Prioritizing business-critical application traffic is as important to IT organizations as is increasing security. Additionally, nearly 30% of respondents said support for mobile workers will have the biggest impact, while another 30% pointed to reducing cost.
* More than 50% of IT organizations use the Internet to carry between 1-40% of their traffic.
* The use of the Internet will grow more than the use of MPLS, and the use of each of these services will grow significantly more than the use of other WAN services, such as ATM.
* The two primary concerns that IT organizations have with the use of MPLS are cost and uptime, and the two primary concerns that IT organizations have with the use of the Internet are security and uptime.
* The primary class of applications driving an increase in Internet traffic is public cloud applications and services, followed by support for mobile users.
The report also states that the WAN scenario may be more optimistic in the future. The survey found that roughly three times as many respondents expected an increase to their WAN budgets compared to those that expected a decrease. With a strong support by the senior management, WANs could stand to gain faster and see much business success.
- Simeio Gains Talent Insight, Improves Retention With Oracle
- Know Before Getting Your Cloud Architecture In Shape
- Smart Devices To Add Up To $685 Bn to Manufacturing Revenue By 2020: Study
- How Emerging Tech Is Redefining India's Real Estate
- Cloud In Industrial IoT To Cross USD 46K Mn By 2026: Research
- Public WiFi To Connect India's 40 mn New Users To Internet: Study
- Ensuring A Secured Blockchain Ecosystem
- 10 Questions To Ask Your Cloud Vendor Encryption Solutions
- Why VPN Services Are Getting More And More Popular
- Microservices, Latency and Alligators in the Pond