Central Government Clears BharatNet For Tamil Nadu
The Indian government is preparing to launch broadband services with high speed of around 1000 megabit per second (1 Gbps) in nearly 100K gram panchayats by the end of 2017.
The Centre has sanctioned the detailed project report (DPR) of ‘BharatNet’ – a scheme for making broadband connectivity available in rural areas — for Tamil Nadu, which would be implemented by the State government. It has also reserved Rs. 1,230 crore for the project.
According to an official release from the State government, the Union Ministry of Telecommunications cleared the DPR of the project, which was prepared and submitted by the Tamil Nadu Cable TV Corporation last month, for providing internet services through optical fiber cable.
Though the project is implemented by the center, it was the then Chief Minister, J Jayalalithaa who was wanting it to be implemented through the state government. The state’s plea was accepted and the implementation will happen through ‘Tamil Nadu FibreNet Corporation’. The State government had invested Rs. 50 lakh for the project as per the MoU between the state and center.
According to a research study, the number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 450-465 million by June, up 4-8% from 432 million in December 2016, a report from the Internet and Mobile Association of India and market research firm IMRB International said. The report added its forecast does not factor in the impact of demonetization, which gave a boost to digital and mobile transactions.
The report said overall Internet penetration in India is currently around 31%. “Urban India with an estimated population of 444 million already has 269 million (60%) using the Internet. Rural India, with an estimated population of 906 million as per 2011 census, has only 163 million (17%) Internet users. Thus, there are potential approximately 750 million users still in rural India who are yet to become Internet users; if only they can be reached out properly,” the report was quoted in LiveMint.
- Indian Stocks and Rupee Been Hammered in Recent Months
- New Economy Forum In Singapore To Address Business Challenges
- HCI To Bring More Exciting Opportunities In The Indian Market
- Bahrain FinTech Bay To Collaborate With Global Leaders To Drive Growth
- Poor Router Security Makes Indians Vulnerable To Cyber Attacks
- Why 4 out of 10 Security Alerts Go Attended Daily In India?
- Businesses Should Educate Consumers On AI For Smarter Outcome: Study
- Five Tips for Building An 'Inclusive Workplace'
- Scalable, Secure Govt Data Centers For Online Citizen Services
- Tata-Backed E-Commerce Firm Moglix On An Expansion Spree