Cloud Computing Traffic to Grow 12-Fold, says Cisco
Global cloud computing traffic will grow 12-fold from 130 exabytes to reach a total of 1.6 zettabytes annually by 2015, a 66 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR), as per the findings of the inaugural Cisco Global Cloud Index.
The report says that cloud is the fastest growing component of data center traffic, which itself will grow four-fold at a 33 percent CAGR to reach 4.8 zettabytes annually by 2015. Cloud is also estimated today to be 11 percent of data center traffic, growing to more than 33 percent of the total by 2015.
“Cloud and data center traffic is exploding, driven by user demand to access volumes of content on the devices of their choice,” said Suraj Shetty, Vice President of Product and Solutions Marketing, Cisco.
The new research was based on third-party data and on 30 terabytes of data gathered from 10 data centers worldwide over a period of 12 months.
Cisco said that 2014 will be the first year where the balance of workloads shifts towards the cloud for the first time. As per the findings, 51 percent of total workloads will be in a cloud environment versus 49 percent in the traditional IT space.
By 2015, 76 percent of data center traffic will remain within the data center itself as workloads migrate between various virtual machines and background tasks take place, 17 percent of the total traffic will leave the data center to be delivered to the end user, while an additional seven percent of total traffic will be generated between data centers through activities such as cloud-bursting, data replication and updates, the report said.
Greater virtualization and improved economies of scale will be a key driver of the cloud transition.
The Cisco Global Cloud Index provides insight into this traffic growth and trends so that organizations can make strategic long-term decisions. We will continue to develop and release the Cisco Global Cloud Index on a regular and ongoing annual basis, contributing to ‘cloud readiness’ efforts worldwide.
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- How Businesses Can Generate Insights From IOT Devices
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- Data Science: A Success Mantra For Business Optimization
- India Among Top 5 Countries Generating E-Waste
- Embracing Zen In Business To Be Flexible and Innovative
- 8 Out Of 10 Most Valuable Brands Are In Tech: Study
- How AWS Is Driving India's Cloud Growth Story
- NIC Steps Up Its Efforts To Hire More Cyber Security Pros