Cost of Making Phone Calls May Come Down
TRAI is reducing domestic termination charges by 33% under new Interconnection Usage Charges (IUC) Regime.
The TRAI today issued the "Telecommunications Interconnection Usage Charges (Tenth Amendment) Regulations", which states that termination charge for all types of domestic calls viz fixed to fixed, fixed to mobile, mobile to fixed and mobile to mobile has been reduced to 20 paise/minute from 30 paise/minute.
Termination charge for incoming international calls would be 40 paise/minute against the existing charge of 30 paise/minute. TRAI expects that the service providers would pass on this benefit in the form of lower tariff for outgoing international calls.
Ceiling on carriage of domestic long distance calls has been retained at 65 paise/minute to encourage national long distance operators to expand into rural areas. Origination charge has not been specified as it would be residual from tariff after payment of other charges. This would provide service providers flexibility of introducing innovative tariff plans
TRAI also said termination charge for 3G voice calls shall be same as 2G voice calls, with the new charges effective from 1st April 2009.
- Trai Backs Net Neutrality; Will RJio, Airtel Stand To Gain?
- SDN-NFV: The Game Changers In Indian Telecom sector
- More Indian Enterprises Cozying Up To Analytics: Study
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- TRAI's Decision Disappoint Airtel, Vodafone
- Smart India Stack Can Slash Operational Costs Upto 70 pc
- Role Of Privacy In A Digital World
- Using Big Data To Solve Telcos' Frauds, Revenue leakage
- Videocon Telecom Ventures Into Security, Survelliance
- GST Rollout: Here's What IT-Telecom Experts Say