China tops list of cyber attackers
A recent survey by US security firm Akamai has revealed that China and Indonesia are top of the list of the sources of cyber attacks. China remained in the top of the first quarter of 2013, largely due to Indonesia’s sudden surge as a source of internet attacks.
“This decline is likely related to Indonesia making a sudden appearance in the second place slot,” said Akamai’s Bill Brenner, citing an increase of cyber attacks in Indonesia from 0.7 percent to 21 percent in the prior quarter.
Emerging in third position was the United States in third position, with shares dropping from 10 percent to 8.3 percent. The other countries emerging as sources of cyber attacks were Turkey (4.5 per cent), Russia (2.7 per cent), India (2.6 per cent), Taiwan (2.5 per cent), Brazil (2.2 per cent), Romania (2.0 per cent) and Hong Kong (1.6 per cent). While Europe accounted for just under 19 per cent, North and South America originated just over 13 per cent combined.
“We find that nearly 68 percent originated in the Asia Pacific/Oceania region, up from 56 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012, likely due to the massive increase seen in Indonesia,” Brenner said.
The study also noted an increase in global internet speed with an average connection of 3.1 megabits per second. South Korea emerged as the country with the highest internet broadband speed with 14.2 Mbps, a 50 percent increase. The study was conducted from 243 countries or regions and reported a 733 million unique Internet addresses. The report also added that the number of unique web users connecting to their platform reached over one billion.
- CXOs Still Wary Of Cloud Data Security: Study
- PNB Scam: Some Tech Lessons For Indian Banks
- Why Financial Sector CIOs Should Get On Top Of Machine Learning
- Smart Cars Can Be The Next Big Thing For Indian IT Firms, Says Study
- Unnecessary Security Cordons Make Fintech More Vulnerable
- E-Commerce Payment Market To Reach USD 135 Bn By 2023: Study
- Direct Co-ordination With CEO Can Maximise Cyber Security
- How To Become Cisco CCNA Security 210-260 Certified
- Cyber Security: Challenges And Potential For Indian Businesses
- Wipro Teams Up With Cisco To Unveil Internet of Lighting Solutions