Database Monitoring Can Reduce High-profile Breaches
Continuous monitoring of database networks is the best approach to avoid breaches and high-profile attacks in organizations, reveals a recent study by Ponemon Institute in association with analysis company DB Network.
The study that analyzed responses from nearly 600 IT security experts working across a broad spectrum of industries with an emphasize on the retail segment and also the public sector also throws light on the fact that more than half of respondents believed that the attacks against the large enterprises involved SQL injection as one of the components of the attacks.
Almost half of the respondents also said the SQL injection threat Relevant Products or Services also facing their own organization is very significant. Toward this end, nearly two-thirds of respondents (64 percent) felt that their organization presently does not have the technology or tools to quickly detect SQL injection database attacks.
Other findings of the report include:
- Only one-third of respondents either scan Relevant Products or Services continuously or daily for active databases. However, 25 percent reported they scan irregularly and 22 percent do not scan at all.
- Only 48 percent of respondents indicated that they test or validate third party software Relevant Products or Services to ensure it’s not vulnerable to SQL injection.
- Forty-four percent utilize professional penetration testers to identify vulnerabilities in their IT systems; but 65 percent of those penetration tests do not include testing for SQL injection vulnerabilities.
“It’s well known that database breaches, including these high-profile attacks against the retailers, are devastating to merchants in terms of lost sales and damage to their reputation,” said Brett Helm, Chairman and CEO of DB Networks.
“This study sheds additional light on the likely attack Relevant Products/Services chain so that all retailers can now be more prepared in the future,” he summed up.
- Despite Potential, AI Has Many Issues To Be Sorted
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- Taming The 3 Dragons of Network Monitoring
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- 5 Steps CISOs Can Implement to Enhance Customer Experience
- Top Tips To Avoid Last-Minute GDPR ‘Cramming’
- NIC Steps Up Its Efforts To Hire More Cyber Security Pros
- Building Better Data Protection and Steering Clear of GDPR Violations
- GDPR Law Boosts Cyber Security Jobs in India: Study