Decrease POI Congestion, Says TRAI
Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India (TRAI) has issued show cause notices to six of India’s major operators viz. Bharti Tele-Ventures, Tata Teleservices, Reliance Infocomm, Reliance Telecom, BPL Mobile and Spice Communication for unsatisfactory levels of network congestion.
Though the benchmark prescribed by TRAI for the parameter “POI Congestion” (congestion between the networks of two operators) is less than 0.5%, it was seen service providers were not meeting some of the parameters in some circles, on analyzing the Performance Monitoring Report and Congestion Report for the quarter ending 30th September 2005.
The POI congestion report for the period July - September 2005 showed increasing congestion between the networks of cellular mobile operators. In 364 locations the POI congestion level was more than the prescribed benchmark of <0.5% with the level of congestion at 40% or more in about 72 out of such locations.
In light of these events TRAI issued directives to all Cellular Mobile Service Providers (CMSPs) on 29th November 2005 to asking them to improve their QoS and bringing the POI congestion levels down within the prescribed parameters.
Though there was some improvement observed from CMSPs side in meeting the QoS benchmarks, the POI congestion levels of most operators showed deterioration in their performance observed in the quarter ending December 2005 performance report.
Concerned about the deteriorating level of POI congestion in the networks and lack of efforts on the part of the service providers in effecting timely augmentation of interconnection, TRAI decided to issue show cause notices to the above mentioned CMSPs.
Other operators such as Idea Cellular, Hutch, Aircel Cellular, BSNL and MTNL recorded no deterioration in regard to congestion above 0.5% during the same period and were therefore spared.
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- Tech Mahindra Slams Petition Against RCOM Over Dues
- How Algorithms Are Revolutionizing Lending Business
- Blockchain, Distributed Ledgers Will Take Time To Mature: Gartner
- Network Visibility: How To Diffuse The IT Blame Game
- Cloud-Based Biometric Authentication Is Underway
- TRAI's Decision Disappoint Airtel, Vodafone