Delegates blindfolded at Nasscom Foundation event
Participants at a recent Nasscom Foundation workshop were blindfolded, gagged and tied-up to help them experience challenges that those with disabilities encounter in a day-to-day life. The aim of the workshop titled ‘Addressing diversity - Recognising skills’ was to address issues of diversity and inclusion of persons with disabilities in the IT-BPO sector.
The event was organized by Praveen Kumar, a visually challenged social worker, who navigated the workshop through a presentation which outlined the history of disability through the ages to the present and invited the audience to share their experiences in the area of disability. While Dr. Jitendra Aggarwal, who runs a successful training and placement institute for people with disabilities, focused on the need to bring in those people with disabilities who have had elementary education into the IT-BPO industry by identifying skill sets for them, he also focused on the need based accessibility tools needed for the people with disabilities to be part of the IT-BPO workforce. Companies like IBM, Wipro, Genpact, gave their inputs on the need to include people with disabilities in the workforce by reworking HR policies and recognizing merit irrespective of disabilities.
At the workshop, a documentary film was shown to drive home the point that disability is not an issue when the industry recognizes talents. The office of the Commissioner of People with Disabilities, represented by the Deputy Commissioner T.D. Dhariyal gave a picture of the seriousness with which the Government is pursuing the issue of employment for PWD’s in the private sector. NGOs like Khushboo, which deal with people with intellectual disability spoke of the need for training so that people with such disabilities gain a minimum level of confidence.
- India Launches Blockchain Foundation To Accelerate Growth
- Artificial Intelligence Transforming India's Education Sector
- Which Sector Will Be The First To Go 100% Robot?
- Microsoft India Cybersecurity Center Aids 126 Organizations
- Helping C-Suite Innovate With ERP Cloud
- Banks Investing Heavily On IT With Rising Digital Payments: Gartner
- Will Trade Unions Matter In The Age Of Automation
- SDN-NFV: The Game Changers In Indian Telecom sector
- Most Jobs In Service Sector Offer Flexible Work Opportunities: Study
- Top Nine Trends in ICT Sector: TrendForce