Internet of Things provides opportunity amid diversity
In today’s modern world, the Internet continues to plays an integral role not only at the infrastructure level, but also in culture, society and business. This role gets further extended by the Internet of Things (IoT), which encompasses an increasingly diverse range of devices and communications streams. Sensors and actuators are embedded in physical objects, from roadways to pacemakers, which are linked through wired and wireless networks, often using the same Internet Protocol (IP) that connects the Internet.
As more and more physical objects getting connected, it makes IoT diverse in nature, thereby failing to make a compelling business case to explore or commit resources to this evolving area. However, in this age of consumerization of IT, which has increasingly encroached on enterprise IT, CIOs just cannot ignore IoT.
CIOs should understand that IoT might appear diverse but in reality, many applications that appear to be completely unique share an underlying functionality that is essentially common across the different applications. Much of the differentiation and value of IoT resides not in the device or connectivity, but in the data aggregation, data-processing and decision-making activities that take advantage of the data streams emanating from the device.
By ignoring the details of each application and looking instead at the underlying characteristics of the different device types and how they can populate an IoT infrastructure, CIOs can bring clarity and insight to what appears to be a very confused set of possibilities.
- Research Reveals AI Is Creating More 'Human Friendly' Workplaces
- Travel, E-Com, Utility Lead To India's Digital Commerce Boom: Study
- Why Angel Investors Find Startups That Use A CRM Attractive
- 6 Key Trends For Artificial Intelligence Powering The Investment Sector
- Gartner Identifies 7 Technologies For The Digital Workplace
- 4 Things To Know Before You Move Everything To The Cloud
- How IoT Is Disrupting The Logistics Sector
- Gartner's 5 Emerging Technology Trends Every CIO Should Know
- Home Automation Is The Next Big Thing, And Here Already!
- There's Potential To Unlock USD 50-Bn in India's Online Commerce