Internet of Things provides opportunity amid diversity
In today’s modern world, the Internet continues to plays an integral role not only at the infrastructure level, but also in culture, society and business. This role gets further extended by the Internet of Things (IoT), which encompasses an increasingly diverse range of devices and communications streams. Sensors and actuators are embedded in physical objects, from roadways to pacemakers, which are linked through wired and wireless networks, often using the same Internet Protocol (IP) that connects the Internet.
As more and more physical objects getting connected, it makes IoT diverse in nature, thereby failing to make a compelling business case to explore or commit resources to this evolving area. However, in this age of consumerization of IT, which has increasingly encroached on enterprise IT, CIOs just cannot ignore IoT.
CIOs should understand that IoT might appear diverse but in reality, many applications that appear to be completely unique share an underlying functionality that is essentially common across the different applications. Much of the differentiation and value of IoT resides not in the device or connectivity, but in the data aggregation, data-processing and decision-making activities that take advantage of the data streams emanating from the device.
By ignoring the details of each application and looking instead at the underlying characteristics of the different device types and how they can populate an IoT infrastructure, CIOs can bring clarity and insight to what appears to be a very confused set of possibilities.
- 5G To Pave Way For Self-driving Cars' Safety: Gartner
- For Most Firms, Digital Workplace Is Still Distant Dream : Gartner
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content: CTO
- How Businesses Can Generate Insights From IOT Devices
- Dell EMC Leads Server Market In Q4 2018, Says Gartner
- 5 Steps CISOs Can Implement to Enhance Customer Experience
- Businesses Speed Up Adoption of Augmented Analytics Tools
- How AWS Is Driving India's Cloud Growth Story
- More SMBs Investing In Data Security, CRM: Study