Expect More Nilekanis in Govt: PM
Induction of Infosys Technologies ex-chairman Nandan Nilekani into the Union Cabinet as chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI) is a precursor of more to follow, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told the media on his way back from Italy.
"I would like to involve more and more intellectuals in the processes of governance of our country. It is a process, and we have made a beginning and it is my hope that in due course of timewe can enlarge this process," Singh said.
The prime minister said he intended to utilize the enormous reserve of knowledge, wisdom and experience available outside the political system. He, however, added that the process would be gradual and take into account the sensitivities of the political class in an elected democracy.
"I think Nandan Nilekani s appointment has been widely welcomed and I sincerely hope that in due course of time we can enlarge the involvement of top intellectual elements in processes of governance," the PM said.
Nilekani, who resigned from Infosys board of directors on June 9, is expected to assume office on Monday and likely to have his new office in Vigyan Bhawan Annexe on Maulana Azad Road, according to sources.
- Accenture, Israel Consulate And Nasscom launch 'scalerator'
- E-Waste Management Can Redefine Urban Mining
- Infosys' Nitesh Banga Joins GlobalLogic As COO
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- Truecaller Acquires Indian Firm Chillr; Launches Truecaller Pay 2.0
- Lenovo Promotes Bhaskar Choudhuri To CMO For Asia Pacific
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- Digital To Rule IT Firms' Growth By 2021: ICRA
- Firms Yet To Adopt AI-ML To Improve Cyber Resilience
- AI, IoT Enhancing Video Surveillance Capabilities