Expect More Nilekanis in Govt: PM
Induction of Infosys Technologies ex-chairman Nandan Nilekani into the Union Cabinet as chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI) is a precursor of more to follow, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told the media on his way back from Italy.
"I would like to involve more and more intellectuals in the processes of governance of our country. It is a process, and we have made a beginning and it is my hope that in due course of timewe can enlarge this process," Singh said.
The prime minister said he intended to utilize the enormous reserve of knowledge, wisdom and experience available outside the political system. He, however, added that the process would be gradual and take into account the sensitivities of the political class in an elected democracy.
"I think Nandan Nilekani s appointment has been widely welcomed and I sincerely hope that in due course of time we can enlarge the involvement of top intellectual elements in processes of governance," the PM said.
Nilekani, who resigned from Infosys board of directors on June 9, is expected to assume office on Monday and likely to have his new office in Vigyan Bhawan Annexe on Maulana Azad Road, according to sources.
- How Is AI Transforming the Digital Payments Landscape
- Technical Challenges For Implementation Of GST
- India Ranks 7th On Web Application Attacks: Akamai
- India's Top 10 Innovative Companies For 2018
- Subscription E-commerce: What Online Retailers Should Know
- Choosing The Right HR Management System For Your Firm
- CXOs Still Wary Of Cloud Data Security: Study
- India’s Digital Payments Will Touch USD 1-Tn By 2022: Report
- Digital Engineering Spend To Grow 124 pc By 2022
- IBM Steps Up Its Skills Development Efforts In India