Expect More Nilekanis in Govt: PM
Induction of Infosys Technologies ex-chairman Nandan Nilekani into the Union Cabinet as chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI) is a precursor of more to follow, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told the media on his way back from Italy.
"I would like to involve more and more intellectuals in the processes of governance of our country. It is a process, and we have made a beginning and it is my hope that in due course of timewe can enlarge this process," Singh said.
The prime minister said he intended to utilize the enormous reserve of knowledge, wisdom and experience available outside the political system. He, however, added that the process would be gradual and take into account the sensitivities of the political class in an elected democracy.
"I think Nandan Nilekani s appointment has been widely welcomed and I sincerely hope that in due course of time we can enlarge the involvement of top intellectual elements in processes of governance," the PM said.
Nilekani, who resigned from Infosys board of directors on June 9, is expected to assume office on Monday and likely to have his new office in Vigyan Bhawan Annexe on Maulana Azad Road, according to sources.
- Governance, Risk and Compliance- Trends and Predictions
- Trends In Information Management: An India Perspective
- WB To Announce New IT Policy To Woo Investors: CM
- RBI Reiterates Its Warning On Bitcoins
- Xiaomi To Make Fresh Investments, Set Up More Plants In India
- Infor Looks To Triple Its India Revenue By 2020
- Key Challenges For Infosys' New CEO Salil Parekh
- Infosys Names Capgemini's Salil Parekh As New CEO
- How Cloud Communication Can Speed Up Digital India vision
- Ericsson Forecasts 1 Billion 5G Subscriptions By 2023