"Facebook Closing on March 15th" hoax spreads across: Sophos
IT security and control firm, Sophos, warns that more than one million Facebook users are believed to have fallen for a hoax claiming that the social networking site will close on March 15th.
A news story, published in a journal said that Mark Zuckerberg (creator of Facebook) had told reports that “managing (Facebook) has ruined my life. I need to put an end to all the madness.” In a panic, Facebook users have spread the story far and wide across the Internet. Although Facebook debunked the hoax via its Twitter account late on Sunday, users continue to pass the bogus messages onto their online friends, informed the IT security firm.
The article also quoted a company official, Avrat Humarthi, VP, technical affairs, Facebook, “After March 15th the whole website shuts down. So if you ever want to see your pictures again, I recommend you take them off the Internet. You won’t be able to get them back once Facebook goes out of business.”
Although a hoax is not as serious as malware, it’s still a nuisance, clogging up communications, increasing the overall level of spam and perhaps leading people to make decisions for the wrong reasons.
Sophos believes that many people would not believe the report, which comes from a newspaper that has previously reported George Clooney is running for president. However, it only takes a small proportion of people to think it might be possible to turn a joke of a news story into an Internet hoax.
“I certainly wouldn’t disagree that users would be wise to have their own backup of their photographs, rather than rely on Facebook - but it’s nothing more than a scare to suggest people that they have to do it before March 15th because Facebook is going to close down,” explained Graham Cluley, Sr. technology consultant, Sophos.
“There’s an important lesson here -don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, and think twice before you pass a story on to your friends,” Cluley advised.
- Despite Potential, AI Has Many Issues To Be Sorted
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- 5 Steps CISOs Can Implement to Enhance Customer Experience
- Top Tips To Avoid Last-Minute GDPR ‘Cramming’
- Here's A Way To Protect Yourself Against Manipulated 'Fake News'
- 8 Out Of 10 Most Valuable Brands Are In Tech: Study
- NIC Steps Up Its Efforts To Hire More Cyber Security Pros
- Building Better Data Protection and Steering Clear of GDPR Violations