Facebook, Google Top At Most Popular Apps List In 2016
Mobile applications from Facebook and Google dominated the new list of the year’s top apps released by Nielsen. Facebook again grabbed the number one spot on the list, with more than 146 million average unique users per month, and 14 percent growth over last year.
In a year 2016 social media remaind the dominant force on people’s phones. Facebook remains comfortable as America’s most popular app with more than 146 million monthly users. The company has been adding features to its app over the last year, like games, its own marketplace and its many, many attempts to be Snapchat.
The social network giant took first and second place in Nielsen’s ranking, with 129 million unique users for Facebook Messenger. Instagram, which Facebook bought for $1 billion in 2012, was 2016’s eighth most popular app, with 74 million average monthly users. The photo-sharing app’s user number grew by more than one-third from 2015.
Facebook boasts an average 1.8 billion monthly active users internationally, as the largest social network in the world. But while Facebook was able to clinch the top spot, its apps were not spread as widely as Google’s influence.
The search engine titan claimed five spots on the Top 10 list, with a combined 508 million users across its popular apps.
YouTube, the streaming site it owns, was Google’s largest contribution, with 113 million people using the app. Google Maps followed with 105 million users. Google Search, the Play Store and Gmail had 103 million, 99 million and 88 million users, respectively.
Google’s Android mobile operating system also edged out its rival Apple in 2016, with 53 percent of US smartphone owners running on Android, compared to 45 percent of owners using iOS. Only 1 percent of smartphone owners are using BlackBerry.
While Facebook and Google have managed to stay on top for 2016, Amazon’s app saw the most growth this year, with a 43 percent increase since 2015. Amazon’s mobile app saw a 43 percent increase in terms of monthly average uniques versus 2015. The web retailer giant now boasts 65 million users on its app.
- Amazon Beats Apple, Google To Become World’s Most Valuable Brand
- Google Eyes Indian Enterprises With Its Cloud Partnership Program
- E-Tailers Should Embrace “Mobile-First” Mindset To Succeed
- Top 10 Tech Companies To Work With In India
- Is Artificial Intelligence Ready To Overhaul Healthcare Sector
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- 5 Best Ways to Use Collaboration Tools for Quick Growth
- Using Technology To Your Business Advantage
- 40 pc FMCG Spend Will Have Digital Influence By 2020, Says Google
- 19 Milestones On Google's 19th Birthday