Facebook in talks to buy Microsoft ad technology: reports
Facebook Inc is in negotiations with Microsoft Corp about acquiring advertising technology that could allow the social network displays ads on other websites, broadly expanding its advertising business, according to media reports on Thursday.
Facebook is in “serious” discussions with Microsoft about a deal to purchase Atlas Solutions, an ad-serving product that Microsoft acquired through its $6 billion acquisition of aQuantive in 2007, according to reports in the technology blogs Business Insider and AllThingsDigital on Thursday.
The deal could allow Facebook to significantly expand its advertising business by showing ads on third-party websites, mounting a challenge to Google Inc’s DoubleClick ad network, said the reports, which cited anonymous sources.
The potential price for the acquisition was unclear, though Business Insider said the highest bid for Atlas in Microsoft’s previous attempts to sell the business was $30 million.
Facebook and Microsoft representatives declined to comment.
Facebook, the world’s No. 1 online social network with roughly 1 billion users, has been moving aggressively to bolster its advertising business with new capabilities, including ads on mobile devices and features that demonstrate the effectiveness of its ads to marketers.
Facebook currently generates 86 percent of its revenue, which totaled roughly $1.3 billion in the third quarter, from ads that appear on its own website.
- Is China The Next Tech Battleground For Foreign Companies?
- Effective Infrastructure Management Drives Biz Efficiency
- ManageEngine Extends Capabilities Of Its Analytics Plus Software
- Snapdeal To Spend 200 Crore For Festive Season Marketing
- LeEco, netCore To Strengthen Digital Marketing Initiatives
- Simplifying And Securing Virtual Workspaces
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOtoday - [Aug 15-Aug 20]
- L&T Partners With Coupa For Cloud Management Solutions
- Oracle To Offer Banking Solutions To Smaller Banks
- Is Facebook Losing The Battle Against Ad Blockers?