Facebook creates app to capitalize on India's growing mobile population
India’s growth in mobile sales has resulted in helping social media site Facebook achieve 62 million mobile phone users by June 2013. Its monthly active users (MAUs) in India are approximately 82 million as of June 30, 2013. An IDC report revealed that India’s phone market is growing 16 percent year on year and recorded a 218 million units of sale in 2012.
According to firstpost.com, Facebook’s India Country Growth Manager Kevin D’Souza said that the next billion users would come from India. MAUs are users who use mobile devices, tablets to view Facebook. “In all regions, an increasing number of our MAUs are accessing Facebook through mobile devices, with users in India, Brazil and Indonesia representing key sources of mobile growth over the second quarter of 2013 as compared to the first quarter of 2013,” Facebook said in a statement.
A large section of the Indian population still uses features phone due to affordability and sustainability. The use of feature phones in India being high, these phones are now being connected to the internet. “Feature phones consists of a large chunk of mobile phone users in India and with low price points these devices are becoming the first internet connected device many people will own,” D’Souza said. In order to reach out to the feature phone market, Facebook invested in building ‘Facebook for Every Phone’ app, which delivers Smartphone-like Facebook experience on feature phones. Over 100 million people access the website every month through the app for feature phones.
Facebook’s main aim is to cater to emerging markets like India by providing a platform from were anybody can connect to whether it’s desktop, laptops, feature phones or smartphones. D’ Souza also added that Facebook has evolved from a ‘mobile first’ to ‘mobile best’ company as it has become the sole reason for many people to access the Internet.
- Altaf Halde Steps Down; Kaspersky Lab Appoints New GM
- The 10 Best Companies For Women In India
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- Ola Vs Uber And The Battle Of Dominance In India
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- How Option3 Is Creating a Winning Strategy For Its Startup Biz