Feature Phones Now One Of Best Diwali Gifts
Feature phones are one among the most gifted item this festive season, according to a survey.
The survey also informs that to meet this new era demand, retailers, especially in smaller towns and cities, have stocked up on them in the last few months.
The feature phone segment is expected to be around 52 percent of the overall market against smartphones this year. This stability can partly be attributed to Reliance’s Jio Phone, and part to brands including Nokia and itel which have revived the demand of this segment.
“About 90 per cent retailers in Tier-II and Tier-III cities are looking to stock feature phones within the range of Rs 1,000 as they are widely bought by customers for gifting purpose,” ET quoted Devesh Rai, as saying. He is the founder of Wydr.in, an online wholesale app that traders use to manage stocks across several categories such as phones, fashion, home furnishings and electronics. Companies like i-KALL, InFocus, Salora, Blackzone, Rocktel and Kara are leading brands in the feature phone category on Wydr, he added.
“Number of feature phones sold on the platform increased by 20 percent in August, on-month, and by 52 percent in July-September quarter, on quarter,” according to the survey done by the internal data science team of the platform revealed.
As per the team’s findings, featurephones booked a 16 percent surge in gross merchandise value on August on-month, and a surge of 29 percent in this quarter ended September, compared to the previous quarter.
“The featurephone market increased 18 per cent on-quarter in April-June quarter, contributing to almost 54 per cent of the total market. Even in July-September as per preliminary estimates featurephones shipments increased on-month, due to increased mix of sub-Rs 1,000 devices, driven by entry of Nokia, itel and local Indian players,” said, Tarun Pathak, senior analyst at Counterpoint Research.
- Online Retailers Seek Inventory Accuracy To Remain Relevant: Study
- AR-VR Changing Customer's Shopping Experience
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- MoneyOnMobile Introduces Bharat Bill Payment
- Making Communication Convenient for Rural India
- Why Is India Interesting For Walmart And Other Retailers?
- Xiaomi Continues To Rule India's Smartphone Market
- Haptik Sees 40% Customer Retention With Exotel
- India’s 4G Feature Phone Segment To Touch 40 Mn: Report
- Trends That Will Shape India's E-Commerce