Google maps captures top spot in a global app study
With apps scrambling to cater to the growing smartphone user base, a wide variety of apps such news apps, games, social media, lifestyle and fashion apps are available to the user base. A recent global study conducted by GlobalWebIndex has come up with a list of the most popular apps in the world, used by approximately 969.49 million of the smartphone user population.
The result of the study showed that Google maps has edged past all apps with 54 percent users using it on a daily basis. Facebook, the most popular social media site has achieved the second spot as one of the most widely used apps with 44 percent global smartphone users using the app. Google continues its dominance in the app market with YouTube occupying the third position with 35 percent and G+ Mobile App with 30 percent users using the app.
Surprisingly, in the fifth position is We Chat, the Chinese based app which is predominantly used in China, Hong Kong and Malaysia accounting for a whopping 27 percent of the smartphone user base despite being mostly used by three countries. The sixth, seventh and eight position is coveted by Twitter’s Mobile App with a 22 percent active usage number, followed by Skype and Facebook Messenger respectively. WhatsApp which has garnered a huge user base globally, is at the ninth spot with only 17 percent usage and Facebook’s Instagram is tenth with 11 percent.
Outside the top 10, there are still couple of apps whose popularity is continuing to grow steadily such as Vine, Foursquare, Shazam, Flickr and Yelp.
- Online-Offline Channel Mix Leads To India's Smartphone Growth: IDC
- Home Automation Is The Next Big Thing, And Here Already!
- There's Potential To Unlock USD 50-Bn in India's Online Commerce
- Can Google Make A Successful Comeback In China?
- Digital Spending In Retail To Grow By $118 Bn By 2022: Zinnov
- Digital Firms In India Can Achieve USD 39 Bn Exports By 2022: Study
- India As A Mobile Manufacturing Hub Is Challenging: Expert
- Here's Why The Voice-First Strategy Will Rule
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- 3 Wealthiest Global CEOs Come From Tech Industry