Govt approves TRAI recommendations on renewable energy in telecom sector
The IT ministry has approved the recommendations put forth by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Green Energy applications. Milind Deora, minister of state for C&IT, has issued the following directives to the licensees/all International Long Distance (ILD) service providers to adopt measures to help the telecom sector in going green. The minister told Parliament recently that the ministry was setting broad directions and goals to this effect. The directives included:
1. At least 50 per cent of all rural towers and 20% of the urban towers are to be powered by hybrid power (Renewable Energy Technologies (RET) + Grid Power) by 2015, while 75 per cent of rural towers and 33 per cent of urban towers are to powered by hybrid power by 2020.
2. All service providers are required to evolve a carbon credit policy in line with carbon credit norms with an ultimate objective of achieving a maximum of 50 per cent over the carbon footprint levels of the base year in rural areas and achieving a 66 per cent over the carbon foot print levels of the base year in urban areas by the year 2020. The base year for calculating all existing carbon foot prints would be 2011, with an implementation period of one year and the first year of carbon reduction would be the year 2012.
3. All service providers to declare the carbon foot prints of their network twice in a year. Further, based on the details of footprints declared by all service providers, service providers should aim at carbon emission reduction targets for the mobile network at 5 per cent by the year 2012-2013, 8 per cent by 2014-15, 12 per cent by 2016-17 and 17 per cent by the year 2018-2019.
- AWS re:Invent Bets On AI, Hybrid Cloud
- Huawei Aims To Help Set 5G Connection Standards
- 5 Things That Make Reliance Jio A Winner
- Smart Grids Can Resolve India’s Electricity Crunch
- Smart Devices Charging In Seconds Lures Enterprise Users
- IT/ITes Exports From STPIs Up By 9 pc
- Industry Bodies Welcome Telecom Dept's RoW Rules
- RIL Partners With GE To Offer Digital Solutions For Industries
- 3 Shades Of Hybrid Cloud CIOs Can Choose From
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Nov 1-5)