Govt. Requests For Data On The Rise, Says Google
If one were to go by Google, the number of requests from governments seeking support in investigations or removal of content on specific grounds and data that is required for lawsuits etc. have been regularly going up year on year. In its annual Transparency Report (check it out here), Google claims that the United States continued to be the top governments in the world to raise such requests.
The company reportedly received 14,168 requests for information concerning more than 30,000 accounts within the United States during the January-June period this year. More than half of these were subpoenas issued by the government under the US Electronics Communications Privacy Act while about one-third were warrants issued by judges under the said Act.
However, the number of cases were Google is producing data has come down in the same period, resulting in a smaller percentage. At a global level, the company reported that it received close to 45,000 requests from government seeking information on more than 76,000 acocunts during this period though it only produced data for 64 per cent of these requests.
The countries that accounted for the top-5 slots for these requests include Germany, France, India and the United Kingdom, with the United States taking the top slot by a large margin.
The Indian Story:
From the overall government perspective, Google says it receieved 44,943 requests that led to 10 per cent spike from the July-December period of 2015. It also represented the fourth consecutive period wherein the requests showed an increase. However, a review of the types of requests suggests that most of them involved issues related to adult content and such.
The total numbers from India showed a slight spike from 3,265 last year to 3,452 in the current six month period. The requests impacted more number of accounts at 6,207. These numbers seem to be growing northward compared to the first half of 2015 when 3,087 data requests were made.
- Is Artificial Intelligence Ready To Overhaul Healthcare Sector
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- How AI Is Fueling Customer Experience Strategies
- Third Party Digital Cos Will Generate Over $31 Bn This Year
- Paying Ransom Makes One More Susceptible To Attack: Report
- Hiring To Pick Up In Next 6 Months: Report
- How To Combat Online Harassment At The Workplace
- 5 Best Ways to Use Collaboration Tools for Quick Growth
- Using Technology To Your Business Advantage
- 40 pc FMCG Spend Will Have Digital Influence By 2020, Says Google