GSM Subscriber Base Grows by 9.3mn in August
Indian GSM mobile operators added 9.31 million users in August as against 9.9 million new users in the previous month that is down 6%. This drop in new additions is primarily due to poor showing of state-owned telcos BSNL and MTNL, which reported a decline of as much as 16% and 43%, respectively.
The total subscriber base of GSM operators in India now stands at 335.5 million, as per data released by the Cellular Operators’ Association of India (COAI).
The monthly data does not include GSM subscribers of Reliance Communications and Tata Teleservices, a majority of whose customers use the CDMA platform. The two companies report figures separately.
The breakup of the additions by GSM mobile operators in August is as follows (in millions): Bharti Airtel 2.82; Vodafone Essar 2.19; BSNL 1.36; Idea Cellular 1.54; Aircel 1.31; MTNL 66,909.
- Volkswagen Optimizes Password Management System
- Cognizant on a hiring spree to meet SMAC demand
- PCs still preferred for online shopping
- Marketers increasingly using FB mobile for branding
- Going viral with mobile social messaging
- What's the cheapest e-com store for mobile phones in India
- India may witness 4G boom by 2017
- CIOs to look beyond Mobile, Cloud and Big Data
- Multi-channel customer service gains momentum
- Top priorities for Indian CIOs this year