GSM Subscriber Base Grows by 9.3mn in August
Indian GSM mobile operators added 9.31 million users in August as against 9.9 million new users in the previous month that is down 6%. This drop in new additions is primarily due to poor showing of state-owned telcos BSNL and MTNL, which reported a decline of as much as 16% and 43%, respectively.
The total subscriber base of GSM operators in India now stands at 335.5 million, as per data released by the Cellular Operators’ Association of India (COAI).
The monthly data does not include GSM subscribers of Reliance Communications and Tata Teleservices, a majority of whose customers use the CDMA platform. The two companies report figures separately.
The breakup of the additions by GSM mobile operators in August is as follows (in millions): Bharti Airtel 2.82; Vodafone Essar 2.19; BSNL 1.36; Idea Cellular 1.54; Aircel 1.31; MTNL 66,909.
- Intex To Start Manufacturing Mobile Phones In India
- ICICI Bank Launches New Mobile Apps For Customers
- Most Smartphone Users Download Zero Apps Per Month
- India's Online Boom Signals Huge Gain for Telcos
- Firms Still Not Serious About Their BYOD Policies
- Sandeep Chennakeshu To Lead BlackBerry's New Biz Unit
- MongoDB Appoints India-Born Dev Ittycheria As CEO
- Low-cost Smartphones To Rule India's Mobile Market
- New Mobile App Dev Puts Pressure On IT Team
- WeChat User Base Inching Closer To WhatsApp