HP Collaborates To Deliver Next Gen Server and Storage Hard Drives
HP recently announced that it has partnered with Fujitsu, Hitachi and Seagate in order to accelerate adoption of the next generation of hard drive technology for servers and storage.
According to HP, the new small form factor (SFF) 2.5-inch, 10K RPM hard drive would deliver increased performance, improve storage/server density thus leading to greater thermal efficiency. There are also plans to increase shipments of 3.5-inch, 15K RPM drives for server and storage applications.
HP claims that it will be the first server and storage vendor, which would offer the SFF hard drive across a portfolio when it would soon deploy the drive across the HP Proliant Server Family.
“HP is proud to have all leaders in hard drive disk technology closely aligned with our strategy, helping to deliver innovations to customers that will improve the performance of their IT infrastructures,” said Paul Perez, vice president, Storage, Networks and Infrastructure, Industry Standard Servers, HP.
SFF drives will enable greater flexibility in server usage models. For example, the HP ProLiant DL360 server outfitted with the new drives and using HP’s RAID 6 technology can now be tasked to more performance-oriented and mission-critical applications.
HP and the hard drive vendors will standardize HP server and entry-level HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array offerings on the new 2.5-inch, 10K RPM and 3.5-inch, 15K RPM models, leaving behind older and lesser-performing 3.5-inch, 10K RPM drives.
Both new models feature Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) interfaces. The 15K performance would enable IT managers to meet their data throughput requirements with smaller and more densely packed storage systems.
“Hitachi and HP share an innovative spirit and a dedication to helping enterprise customers meet their business objectives,” said Doug Pickford, director, Product Strategy and Planning, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.
- How HDS Is Betting Big On Data And Analytics
- HDS Appoints Sanjay Agrawal As Director - Platforms And Solutions
- CIO Klub Conducts Cricket Tournament: Team Hitachi Wins
- Futurenet Felicitates IT-Decision-Makers At Anniversary Event
- 52% Leaders Feel Their Business Won’t Survive In 5 Years: Fujitsu
- Data Plays A Key Role In Digital Transformation
- Hitachi Aims To Improve And Accelerate Digital Transformation
- Seagate To Slash 3 Per Cent Of Its Workforce
- Fujitsu's Mobile Workstation Unchains Desktop Users
- "We've Moved Beyond Being Just A Storage Company"