Huawei to Launch Android Smart Phone in 2009
Huawei Technologies has announced its entry into the Open Handset Alliance and its plan to launch smart phones based on the Android platform next year.
The Android platform is designed to define specifications for universal mobile phones and to provide allied vendors with one application architecture that contains a set of software stacks. Supporting the Android platform, members of the Alliance promote an integrated mobile software stack that incorporates the operating system, middleware, user-friendly interfaces, and applications.
Li Jilin, VP of Huawei Communications said, Huawei sees potential in the operator resale market, and is relying on its insight into mobile communication trends and operators requirements to further explore the mobile field to meet the varied demands of operators and users. Currently, we re developing smart phones on the Android platform, which we plan to launch in 2009.
From 2007 to 2011, smart phone shipments worldwide are expected to increase at an average annual growth rate of 37.7%. By 2011, shipments are expected to climb to over 400 million units from just 110 million in 2007. Smart phones are expected to account for 24.2% of the global mobile phone market by 2011, and this figure is set to exceed 30% by 2012.
Open Handset Alliance, the group behind the Android platform, added 14 new members to its fold yesterday. The group now includes 47 technology and mobile companies, including biggies like Sony Ericsson, Asus, and Vodafone. Currently the only Android smart phone in the market is the T-Mobile G1. Australian company Kogan Technologies has announced that they will launch the world s second Android phone in January 2009.
Other companies that embraced the Android platform include AKM Semiconductor, ARM, Atheros Communications, Borqs, Ericsson, Garmin International, Huawei Technologies, Omron Software, Softbank Mobile, Teleca AB and Toshiba Corp.
A Look at Google’s Impact on Telecom Sector
- 5 Best Ways to Use Collaboration Tools for Quick Growth
- Using Technology To Your Business Advantage
- 40 pc FMCG Spend Will Have Digital Influence By 2020, Says Google
- 19 Milestones On Google's 19th Birthday
- Google Acquires HTC Talent To Bolster Devices Sale
- Google, Airtel Push UPI-Based Digital Payments Market
- Google Likely To Launch Mobile Payment Service In India
- 5 Specs Of A Futuristic Office Space
- Smart India Stack Can Slash Operational Costs Upto 70 pc
- Office Automation Is The New Smart Investment