IBM Brings New Cloud Offering To Mainframe
IBM has announced a series of new enterprise cloud offerings for the mainframe which will help clients and service providers reduce the cost of operations and rapidly deploy trusted cloud services with mainframe technology.
Built upon open standards, the System z-based integrated system offering, the enterprise Cloud system is designed to support mission-critical workloads. Additionally, a new flexible utility pricing model being announced today will provide service providers with the ability to pay for Linux based mainframe cloud infrastructure over time based on compute consumption, rather than system capacity.
With the ability to support up to 6,000 virtual machines in a single system, provide a secure multi-tenant environment, share resources across workloads, it is positioned to meet the needs for private cloud deployments, IBM said in a statement, adding that the total cost of Linux on System z cloud deployments can be up to 55 percent less than comparable x86-based cloud infrastructure because of efficiency and scalability.
As the cloud market evolves to service an ever-larger share and type of IT workloads, clients are increasingly turning to the mainframe to provide the basis for their cloud deployment.
From the mobility perspective, the new IBM System z Solution for mobile computing integrates mobile applications and delivers mobile and cloud services to enable smoother mobile transactions. The company also announced new pricing for mobile workloads on the new system.
The company said that it will provide up to a 60 percent reduction on the processor capacity reported for mobile transactions, which can help normalize the rate of transaction growth used for software charges. IBM also integrated the Hadoop offerings for faster insight into storage and better data management on mainframes.
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Embracing Zen In Business To Be Flexible and Innovative
- How AWS Is Driving India's Cloud Growth Story
- IBM Is Unlocking Tribal Knowledge With Data
- Leveraging Cloud Based Payments Effectively
- Verizon Selects AWS As Preferred Cloud Provider
- Why Big Enterprises Are Leaving Cloud For Other Tools
- Starbucks Brews Up Digital Transformation With Microsoft Azure
- Why AWS Is A Growth Engine For Indian Businesses