IBM, Simmtronics unveil sub 10k netbook
IBM, Canonical and Simmtronics have announced that the Simmtronics netbook, the Simmbook, will be available to emerging markets at a low price of $190 USD (Approx Rs. 8600). Apart from India, the Simmbook will also be available in South Africa, Thailand and Vietnam.
The Simmbook comes preloaded with IBM Client for Smart Work, which includes IBM Lotus Symphony, access to IBM LotusLive cloud collaboration services, and choice of adding other IBM Lotus collaboration software like Lotus Notes and Lotus Sametime.
"The Simmbook netbook with LotusLive, Lotus Symphony, Lotus Notes and Ubuntu Linux provides businesses with a complete solution at an affordable price," said Clifford Foster, IBM sub-Saharan CTO.
Designed specifically for mobile computing, the Simmbook provides the power of a full-sized laptop in a compact body. IBM Client for Smart Work is IBM and Canonical’s complete desktop package that’s open, easy to use, and offers a security-rich alternative to costly, proprietary PC software, such as Microsoft Windows. It can help lower costs by up to 50 percent of a typical Microsoft PC.
Indrajit Sabharwal, founder and MD, Simmtronics Semiconductors said that the Simmbook solution addresses both price and value, thereby delivering a cost effective, high value and performance system with access to the collaborative tools that businesses need to run efficiently, including email, Web access and instant messaging.
"Canonical has a great program for engaging with hardware manufacturers for getting Ubuntu certified and delivered across various platforms and we’re happy to welcome Simmtronics to the program," said Mark Shuttleworth, founder, Canonical.
Simmtronics and IBM plan to continue to work with clients to offer the Simmbook at a competitive price to other countries around the world.
- Supreme Court Website Hacked; Is India Ready To Defend?
- How Businesses Can Ensure A Smooth Transition To GST
- Flipkart, ASUS Announce Long-Term Partnership For India Market
- QYOU Chalks Out India Expansion Plans
- Microsoft To Invest $5-Bn On IoT Globally; Bullish On India
- How E-Tailers Can Gain From Online Flash Sales
- What Makes Evry So Bullish On India Market
- Trends That Will Shape India's E-Commerce
- Future Of Smart Cities And Transportation In India
- Xerox Is Securing The Future Of Work