Idea Cellular Selects Ericsson For 4G Rollout
Idea Cellular, the country’s third-largest mobile services operator in India, has appointed tech major Ericsson to deploy its 4G (long-term evolution network) and to transform its existing 2G and 3G networks.
The LTE deployment will cover select telecom circles, which serve over 40 million subscribers. It will enable Idea Cellular to deliver superior mobile broadband experiences, including faster mobile data speeds and better smart-phone performance, to its subscribers.
Paolo Colella, Head of Region India, Ericsson, said, “The latest Ericsson Mobility Report shows that India added more mobile subscriptions than any other region in the third quarter of 2015. These subscribers are increasingly demanding better network quality and superior services.”
The contract covers equipment, software and a range of professional services, including project management, systems integration and supervisory managed services for 4GLTE across select circles for a period of two years.
The agreement also includes the transformation of Idea Cellular’s existing mobile radio access and core network infrastructure across nine circles for 2G and five circles for 3G. For licensing purposes, the Indian telecom market is divided into 22 geographical zones, referred to as circles.
Himanshu Kapania, CEO, Idea Cellular, said, “We are committed to offering our customers the best possible mobile experience. Transforming our 2G and 3G network will enable us to offer optimized mobile data and better smartphone performance, while our LTE deployments will take the customer experience on Idea Cellular’s networks to the next level.”
The report noted that at present, over 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic is carried over Ericsson networks. More than 230 Ericsson LTE RAN and evolved Packet Core networks have been delivered worldwide, of which 170 are live commercially, it said.
- How Digital Tech Is Changing Customer Experience
- Predictions for RPA in Financial Services in 2018
- Blockchain In The Context Of Enterprises
- WB To Announce New IT Policy To Woo Investors: CM
- Looking At The World Through A Digital Lens
- Customer-Facing Web, Mobile Apps Pose Highest Security Risk: Study
- Nokia Expands Bengaluru R&D Center To Focus On 5G
- Ericsson Forecasts 1 Billion 5G Subscriptions By 2023
- McAfee Acquires Cloud Security Startup Skyhigh Networks
- How E-Commerce Can Deliver Exceptional Experiences