India is latest victim of Gamarue malware
Online travel and hotel market has become an attractive target for cybercriminals given the large volume of transactions on hotel and online sites. It has been reported that Gamarue, the hotel booking spam has made its way into Indian users’ inboxes. As per the infection statistics, 1.89% of Indian Internet Users have already been affected.
The email purporting to be in the name of one of the Hotels has a similar theme to its English counterpart as it contains confirmation and details on an alleged booking reservation. When a user clicks the attachment in this spam mail, the malware known as Gamarue becomes active. It can steal from an affected user any information left behind on the emails and saved on user’s system
Gamarue is a family of malware that may be distributed by exploit kits, spammed emails or other malware, and has been observed stealing information from an affected user.
One user received at personal email address and he almost fell for it, given that he travels a lot – until he noticed the address of the hotel. It’s too bad the spammers aren’t as good with geography as making spam: the actual Hotel does not exist in India. While he was initially looking forward to attending the hotel, having read the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, the email made it clear that this was, unfortunately, a scam.
Sophistication and persistence of the cyber crimes today has magnified significantly. Simple measures like installation of foolproof software and using secure websites help in curtailing the menace of cyber threat. Just stop and think before you click on any links or attachments. Trend Micro Smart Protection Network already blocks the related domains and links, as well as block the particular email from even reaching users’ inboxes. It also detects and deletes the files as BKDR_ANDROM.P.
- Clickfraud Malware, Gateway To Bigger Cyber Threats
- Cybercrime Costs to Touch $2-Trillion By 2019
- The Cyber Space Needs More Security Warriors
- Banking Malware On The Rise In India: Study
- Top Cyber Security Predictions For 2015
- 60 pc Smartphone Users Fall Victim To Cyber Attacks
- India Ranks Fourth In Mobile Malware Threats Globally
- Using 'Clean IT' In Auto Sector To Curb Cyber Threat
- Patch Management Failures Accelerate Cybercrime
- Malware In Pirated Software To Cost Cos $491 Bn