Indian PC Market Grew 5.2% in April-June
The Indian PC market saw a healthy growth in the quarter ending June, showing a 5.2% growth. Growth of netbook shipments (7.2%) far outstripped desktops(4.4%), with the total shipments touching 1.765 million.
In the overall PC market, HP retained the top spot with a market share of 17.8%, followed by HCL and Dell. In terms of desktop PC shipments, HP retained its top position with a market share of 12.7%, followed by HCL and Acer in second and third spots respectively during Q2 CY’09. In terms of notebook PC shipments also, HP retained the top spot with a market share of 30.9%; Dell retained the second spot while Acer came in at the third spot.
According to Kapil Dev Singh, country manager of IDC India, "The Indian PC market performance in Q2 CY’09 has shown, what may be termed as early signs of a revival, as the decline in overall PC shipments year-on-year (YOY) reduced from a high of 22.7% (Q4 CY’08 vs. Q4 CY’07) to 15.3% in the current quarter (Q2 CY’09 vs. Q2 CY’08). Demand was buoyant during this quarter on account of a higher off-take by the consumer and education segments."
In terms of horizontal segments, while the SME (small medium enterprises) segment responded positively during the quarter (Q2 CY’09), the large and very large enterprise segments are still waiting for cues of a sustained global economic recovery. With the new government settling down and the festive season starting earlier than usual this year, the coming quarter presents an opportunity for vendors to spruce up their shipments performance.
In the emerging segment of mini notebook PCs, enjoying a newfound liking among home users, shipments doubled quarter-on-quarter. Sumanta Mukherjee, lead PC analyst of IDC India said, "The mini notebook PC segment saw the emergence of new entrants like BenQ and Samsung, while existing players like Acer, Asus, and Lenovo moved to consolidate their positions. With more vendors slated to enter this space and with the launch of Microsoft’s Windows 7 OS lined up for October 2009, the Indian mini notebook PC space could see a lot more traction in the forthcoming quarters."
- Four Reasons For Indian Enterprises To Move To SIP
- Coolpad Appoints Chief IP Officer; Focuses On India Market
- By 2025, Digital Transactions To Reach $1-Tn Annually: Report
- India's Enterprise Software Spending To Outgrow China: Gartner
- Google Eyes Indian Enterprises With Its Cloud Partnership Program
- India Inc's Progress on Gender Diversity: Good, Bad or Ugly?
- Top 10 Tech Companies To Work With In India
- 3 Indian Brands that Know How To Use Humour on Twitter
- Fog Computing Market To Cross USD 700 Mn By 2024
- Central Government Clears BharatNet For Tamil Nadu