Indian PC Market Grows by a Quarter in 4Q 2009
According to a report by IDC, the overall India PC market sales touched 19.7 lakh units during the October-December 2009 quarter, recording a 25.7 percent year-on-year growth (over October-December 2008 quarter). However, on quarter-on-quarter basis (over July-September 2009) there was a 12.8 percent decline in sales (shipments) due to seasonality factor.
Desktop PC sales accounted for nearly two-thirds of total PC sales at 12.7 lakh units, representing a 14.6 percent increase year-on-year. The Notebook PC sales grew at 52.8 percent year-on-year (4Q CY09 over 4Q CY08) clocking 6.9 lakh units in October-December 2009.
According to Kapil Dev Singh, Country Manager, IDC India, "With multiple factors like economic revival, technological developments, increasing relevance for the users and right price points, all converging, we are at the beginning of yet another growth curve in the domestic PC market. The PC market growth will be led by notebook PCs increasingly fitting into an individual’s life in more ways than one."
In the overall PC (Notebooks and Desktops combined) market, HP retained the top spot with a market share of 16.2 percent in terms of unit shipments, while Dell and Acer closed in with 13.6 percent and 10.4 percent, respectively
In terms of desktop PC shipments HP retained its top position with a market share of 11.6 percent, followed by HCL and Acer in second and third spots, respectively during 4Q CY09.
However, it was in the notebook PC shipments that the market witnessed a shake-up, as Dell captured the top spot with a market share of 26.3 percent for the first time in 4Q CY09.
- Indian Firms Are More 'IT Transformed' Than Rest Of Asia: Study
- Dell EMC Leads Server Market In Q4 2018, Says Gartner
- How New Tech Models Are Changing The IT Skills
- HCI Makes Software-Defined Data Center Simple
- Banks, Govt To Drive Enterprise Storage Growth: IDC
- Education IT Spending In APAC To Cross $11.8 Bn By 2020
- Dell EMC Looks At $26 Bn India Market, Focuses On JAM
- Dell Veteran Sameer Garde Joins Cisco As President
- SHAREit Crosses 1 Bn Users; Bullish On India Market
- Flash: An Enabler For IT Transformation In India