Indians Access Facebook 2.4 Times More Than Twitter: Study
People in India access social networking site Facebook 2.4 times more than microblogging site Twitter and two times more than video sharing website Youtube, acording to a new study.
The study conducted by market research and business consultancy firm IMRB reports that Facebook’s following is true pan-India presence. The number of people on the platform in the non-top eight metros is more than twice that of the top eight cities.
The study also found that 70 percent people on Facebook own a smartphone and 88 percent of them use a prepaid connection. Moreover, Android was found to be the most popular operating system for Indians on Facebook, followed by iOS and Windows.
According to IMRB, 63 percent Facebook users in India have 3G while 38 percent use a 2G connection to access the social network. ”Almost all people” or “a substantial majority of people” on Facebook in India also access instant messaging service WhatsApp, it said.
Meanwhile, WhatsApp, the world’s most popular instant-message app with more than 1 billion users, is now fully encrypted on all platforms, Android, iPhone, Blackberry and others. WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, has angered federal investigators in criminal investigations, but the Justice Department has not taken the matter to court publicly in the way it did recently with Apple.
Globally, Facebook surpassed 1.5 billion people as of their last quarter. If the social network was a country, it would now be the most populous in the world—even bigger than China.
On the other hand, Twitter has 320 million (March, 2016), with 79 percent of its users living outside the US. It is supported by 35 languages around the world, and the platform has also recently switched away from a live feed in favor of a more tailored experience.
(With inputs from IANS)
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- How AI Is Fueling Customer Experience Strategies
- Third Party Digital Cos Will Generate Over $31 Bn This Year
- Paying Ransom Makes One More Susceptible To Attack: Report
- Hiring To Pick Up In Next 6 Months: Report
- How To Combat Online Harassment At The Workplace
- Insider Threats and Its Impact On Data Security
- 40 pc FMCG Spend Will Have Digital Influence By 2020, Says Google
- IaaS Helps Indian Cos Boost, Performance, Innovation