India’s Mobile Data Traffic to Increase 11 Times By 2023
In India, the total mobile data traffic per month is expected to increase by 11 times over the next six years, as per the latest edition of Ericsson Mobility Report.
The strong growth in LTE subscriptions and increasing smartphone penetration, as well as the demand for data-intensive applications like video, will drive usage. In South East Asia and Oceania, total mobile data traffic will also show strong growth, increasing by 9 times to reach 12EB per month in 2023, it said.
Total mobile data traffic for all devices, globally, is anticipated to increase by 8 times during the forecast period, reaching around 110EB per month by the end of 2023. At close to 85 percent, data traffic generated by smartphones is already accounting for the largest proportion of mobile data traffic. Going forward, smartphone data traffic will become even more dominant, and is expected to increase by 9 times during the forecast period to account for close to 95 percent of total mobile data traffic by the end of 2023, highlights the study.
Between Q3 2016 and Q3 2017, the total data traffic in mobile networks increased by 65 percent. The number of LTE subscriptions is growing rapidly, and LTE is anticipated to become the dominant mobile access technology by the end of this year. Operators are increasingly deploying networks that are capable of Gigabit speeds, noted the study.
India registered 1,185 million subscriptions by the end of September this year. According to the report there will be around 800 million VoLTE subscribers in India by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 42.5 percent over the next six years. LTE will count for more than 60 percent of the total subscription in the country by 2023 as compared to the 12 percent LTE subscription in 2017, the report said.
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Jan 15-20)
- Top Fintech Trends That Will Dominate This Year
- Challenges Of Mobile Operators In The Age Of HD
- Here's Why Web Performance Market Will Keep Growing
- Data Felon’s Next Target: Insurance Firms
- 2018: The Year Of Demystifying Unstructured Data
- The Key Security Factors In Aadhaar Authentication
- AI, AR, ML, VoLTE To Boom In 2018: Deloitte
- The Promise Of Cognitive Computing In India
- Top 10 Customer Experience Trends in 2018