India’s Smartphone Shipments Clock 23% Growth In Q1 2016
The smartphone shipment in India witnessed a descent growth in the first quarter of 2016. The smartphone shipments in grew a healthy 23 percent annually in Q1 compared to the global growth, which stalled for the first time ever since smartphones first begun to sell. the biggest surprise of the quarter was the rise of upcoming LTE operator Jio’s smartphone brand LYF. The Jio Lyf shipped the fifth most number of devices compared to all manufacturers in India.
According to the latest research from Counterpoint’s Market Monitor service, the most shipped smartphones in India were by Samsung, Micromax, Intex, Lenovo and Lyf. Further, Lyf actually overtook Micromax and Lenovo to become the second largest supplier for LTE smartphones in India.
The demand for LTE smartphones remained strong as two out of three smartphone shipped was LTE capable. With 4G LTE capability, 5-inch and above screen size is becoming important for Indian consumers as more than 60 percent of the smartphones shipped were phablets, the study stated.
“LYF instantly climbed to become one of the top five smartphone brands in India in terms of shipment volumes. Jio with its massive LTE network and scale could be the key player to watch out for as it has already become the second largest LTE phone supplier during the quarter”, Tarun Pathak, Senior Analyst at Counterpoint said.
The study stated that more than a billion smartphones will be sold in India over the next five years. This will drive the number of smartphone users from quarter of a billion to more than half a billion in the same time period, which will still be just 55 percent of the total population. Furthermore, the advent of advanced 4G LTE network infrastructure will also be a key catalyst in the country’s smartphone adoption in coming years. The role of players such as Reliance Jio, Bharti Airtel will be important to drive this growth by leveraging an ecosystem-level approach, the study stated.
- Why Cloud Adopters Need Visibility Into Their Network
- India Launches Blockchain Foundation To Accelerate Growth
- Artificial Intelligence Transforming India's Education Sector
- Cyber Security Jobs At Premium As India Goes Digital
- What Makes Samsung Bullish On India Market?
- Trends In Information Management: An India Perspective
- RBI Reiterates Its Warning On Bitcoins
- Xiaomi To Make Fresh Investments, Set Up More Plants In India
- Infor Looks To Triple Its India Revenue By 2020
- Nokia Expands Bengaluru R&D Center To Focus On 5G