Intel to buy Texas Instruments’ cable modem product line
Intel plans to combine Texas Instruments’ best-of-breed Puma product lines with the Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) standard technology and Intel SoCs to deliver advanced set top box, residential gateway and modem products for the cable industry
The purchase enhances Intel’s focus on the cable industry and related consumer electronics (CE) market segments, where the company’s expertise in building advanced system-on-chip (SoC) products, based on Intel Atom processors, will be applied.
Intel’s plan is to woo cable OEM’s with an open and powerful platform for delivering innovative and differentiated products to service providers that improve the video, voice and data content experience at home.
“Adding the talents of the Texas Instruments’ cable team to Intel’s efforts to bring its advanced technology to consumer electronics makes for a compelling combination,” said Bob Ferreira, general manager, Cable Segment, Intel’s Digital Home Group. “Intel is focused on delivering SoCs that provide the foundation for consumer electronics devices such as set top boxes, digital TVs, Blu-ray* disc players, companion boxes and related devices.”
All employees of Texas Instruments’ cable modem team have reportedly received offers to join Intel at sites in their home countries, primarily Israel, and will become part of Intel’s Digital Home Group. Additional terms of the transaction were not disclosed. Pending regulatory review and customary closing conditions, the deal is expected to close by Q4’10.
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- When Securing Customer Loyalty Becomes Critical
- NDCP 2018: Preparing India For A Digital Future?
- Flipkart, ASUS Announce Long-Term Partnership For India Market
- Myntra Acquires Smart Wearables Firm Witworks
- How IoT Is Revolutionizing CPG Industry
- Lack Of Trained Staff, Security Hinder FinTech Growth
- Smart Cities Can Save 125 Hrs For Each Citizen Every Year: Study
- 5 Ways CRM Can Power Hospitality Sector
- Top 10 Tech Companies To Work With In India