Internet Reaches 331.9 Million Domain Names
Approximately 1.3 million domain name registrations were added to the internet in the second quarter of 2017, bringing the total number of domain name registrations to approximately 331.9 million across all top-level domains (TLDs) as of June 30, 2017, reveals a study by domain names and internet security company VeriSign, Inc.
The increase of approximately 1.3 million domain name registrations globally equates to a growth rate of 0.4 percent over the first quarter of 2017. Domain name registrations have grown by 6.7 million, or 2.1 percent, year over year, noted the study.
The .com and .net TLDs had a combined total of approximately 144.3 million domain name registrations in the domain name base in the second quarter of 2017. This represents a 0.8 percent increase year over year. As of June 30, 2017, the .com domain name base totaled 129.2 million domain name registrations, while the .net domain name base totaled 15.1 million domain name registrations, highlights the study.
New .com and .net domain name registrations totaled 9.2 million during the second quarter of 2017. In the second quarter of 2016, new .com and .net domain name registrations totaled 8.6 million, points out the study.
The generic top-level (gTLD) and ccTLD data cited here includes ccTLD Internationalized Domain Names; is an estimate as of the time this brief was developed and; is subject to change as more complete data is received.
The domain name base is the active zone plus the number of domain names that are registered but not configured for use in the respective Top-Level Domain zone file plus the number of domain names that are in a client or server hold status.
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Is Artificial Intelligence The Future Of ERP Software Optimization?
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- Nissan Motor Appoints Anthony Thomas As Global CIO
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- Flipkart To Invest USD 500 Mn In Its Payments Arm PhonePe
- Ericsson Sees 5G Readiness On The Rise
- There's No Stopping The IoT Growth; Here's Why
- Third Party Digital Cos Will Generate Over $31 Bn This Year