Internet Users In India To Double By 2021: Cisco
The internet user base in India to double with an increase of almost 60 percent to 829 million users from 373 users in 2016 and that digital transformation will continue to drive IP traffic in India, according to a report by Cisco.
In addition, there will be 2.0 billion networked devices in 2021, up from 1.4 billion in 2016 and the overall IP traffic is expected to grow 4-fold from 2016 to 2021, a compound annual growth rate of 30 percent and reach 6.5 exabytes of data per month in 2021, up from 1.7 Exabytes per month in 2016, the Cisco Visual Networking Index Complete Forecast said.
According to the report, advancements in IoT applications such as smart meters, package tracking, digital health monitors and a host of other next-generation M2M services is driving this incremental growth—nearly 21 percent increase in the next five years.
“Combining device capabilities with faster, higher bandwidth and more intelligent networks is leading to wide adoption of high bandwidth data, video and advanced multimedia applications that contribute to increased mobile and Wi-Fi traffic” saidSanjay Kaul, Managing Director, Service Provider Business, Cisco India & SAARC.
“The need for optimized bandwidth management, network automation, end to end security and ultimately network monetization through cost efficient data production is fuelling the growth of network automation, mass market 4G deployments and adoption, soon to be followed with 4.5G and 5G.”
The report noted that video will continue to dominate IP traffic and overall Internet traffic growth—representing 76 percent of all Internet traffic in 2021, up from 57 percent in 2016.
India will reach 84 billion Internet video minutes per month by 2021, which is one hundred and sixty thousand years of video per month, or about thirty two thousand video minutes every second, it said.
- By 2025, Digital Transactions To Reach $1-Tn Annually: Report
- Computex 2018, Smart Asia Trade Expo To Focus On AI, IoT
- How To Become Cisco CCNA Security 210-260 Certified
- Top 10 Tech Companies To Work With In India
- How Companies Can Disrupt Ransomware Attacks
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- Flipkart To Invest USD 500 Mn In Its Payments Arm PhonePe
- Ericsson Sees 5G Readiness On The Rise